Sisterhood Summer Lovin’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The end is finally near! The closing of spring semester can signify many different things. Relief from final exams being over, excitement over summer plans and the possibility of seeing family and old friends are just a few of these. While I know that no collegiate is bummed about the commencement of summer, being away from our beloved Champaign for three months is quite the task. After having the opportunity to live in my sorority house this past year, I know it’s going to be difficult to return home without having all of my best friends right down the hall. That’s why I put together this list of fun things to do to get some sisterhood summer lovin’ in!

Are we there yet?

Chances are that not all of your sisters are from the same hometown, so why not take a weekend off and travel to see one another? I can’t think of anything more quintessentially “summer” than a road trip. If a few of your sisters live in the ‘burbs, pack up one of your cars and head down to southern Illinois or vice versa! Or, choose another destination altogether like Chicago, St. Louis or Milwaukee and meet there. Not only will seeing your sisters be fun, but exploring a new place will be, too.

Pass it on

No, I’m not talking about a message on Facebook that requires you to pass it on or else the ghost of some unfairly murdered victim will haunt you that night. Chain letters aside, grab a group of your sisters and start a letter chain! The idea is simple; think of it like The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, minus the magical jeans, that is. With your sisters, create a schedule of who writes to whom. Then, the first person sends a letter to whomever they’re supposed to write. When that person receives their letter, they write one to the next person! It’s an easy and inexpensive way to keep up with your sisters over the summer, and let’s be honest, who doesn’t love good old-fashioned snail mail?

Let’s go to the beach, each

One of the best things about summer is the warm weather so take advantage of it! Plan a beach day with your sisters downtown, or visit someone’s lake house in Wisconsin. This is such a simple and fun way to get everyone together because everyone can come and go as they please. There’s nothing better than soaking up the sun with your sisters by your side. Plus, the opportunity for cute beach pictures is endless!

Get in loser, we’re going shopping!

While summer usually means a break from both school and sorority obligations, there are still a few things that need to be done before returning to school. One of them, of course, is shopping for recruitment clothes. There’s no denying that your chapter gave you a list of requirements for each round, so why not kill two birds with one stone and shop for recruitment clothes with your sisters? Not only is shopping with your friends more fun, but it will be easier to envision the look your chapter is going for with multiple people trying on the same color scheme. Plus, we all know that procrastinating on buying your clothes for recruitment is not the best idea unless you want to end up dressed in something you don’t like or is unflattering.

For the thrill of it

While a day spent shouting at your sisters isn’t usually ideal, it is when you’re doing it from the top of a roller coaster. Do something different, and go for a thrill by spending the day at a water or amusement park. If you venture to Six Flags, you’ll get the best of both worlds. You only have a few short years left to go to an amusement park and goof off. Sometimes, girls just want to have fun!

The summer is quickly approaching, so grab some of your sisters and make plans to see each other before it’s too late!

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.