This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The study abroad experience is different for everyone. Some go for a month, a week, or even a semester. I had the opportunity to go to London through the course RST 199, also known as Discovering London. It was a spring break trip, where we visited parks, stadiums, restaurants, and watched plays. I was able to make new friends and get a grasp of a new environment as well!

Parks/Tourist:

We visited Hyde Park, Westminster Abbey, Warner Bros. Studio Tour, British Museum, Tower London, and did a hop-on hop-off bus tour. We were able to take the tube to the spots and worked with a tour guide, who recommended local shops and nearby restaurants to go to. Divided into smaller groups, we were able to take pictures and explore more in-depth. We also had moments of free time, where we could go out and explore with new friends we had made!

Stadiums: 

We visited Wembley Stadium, Wimbledon Grounds, and Craven Cottage. We were able to tour behind the scenes of these stadiums and grounds. We also learned more about their history, the people that they met, and how they ran their operations on “days off”. They also gave us the chance to chant our famous “ILL-INI!” and take pictures of the grounds. As a Recreation, Sports, and Tourism major, it really allowed me to explore different perspectives and how stadiums are ran in different countries!

Plays:

Watching Theater is a universal thing, but in London they had about almost every show around the corner. We ended up watching To Kill a Mockingbird, Phantom of the Opera, Moulin Rouge, and Six all on our first night. They all were different shows that catered to a different demographic. My favorite show would have to be Phantom of the Opera just because it had a great scenic design, a great soundtrack, and a phenomenal setup.

Restaurants: 

British cuisine is basically just like the USA: a lot of mashed potatoes, cheeseburgers, fish and chips, savory pies, and sausage. Although I was not able to get fish and chips on this trip, I was still able to try a savory pie, fresh oysters that were sliced in front of us, and new snacks in general. A few of the restaurants that we went to were The Coal Hole, Pizza Pilgrims, The Bloomsbury Tavern, and Borough Market.

We had a unique experience with people who are RST majors and even for those who aren’t – RST 199 gives you the perfect understanding of business, tourism, and inclusion that I recommend exploring! You can make the trip experience whatever you want it to be!

I am a recreation, sports and tourism major and will be concentrating in sports management as well as I will be working on research towards latino communities.