Romance Film Recommendations: Drama, Musical, Comedy And More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The romance genre is not for everyone, but for those who love a feel-good, cheesy or moving love story, pieces of media that highlight tales of love are cherished. As someone who enjoys dramatic romances and rom-coms alike, I always struggle to find new movies to watch. Here are some suggestions if you love romance and find yourself needing a new story.

Emily & Tim

I first came across this movie a year or two ago, and I found it incredibly beautiful. Emily & Tim tells the story of a marriage in six different segments through six different pairs of actors. The film follows the same marriage story, only changing the actors who play the leads. This movie provides a unique commentary on the trials, tribulations and love that goes into a marriage regardless of race, gender, sexuality, etc. It is stunning and simple, and I highly recommend it if you are looking for a new drama/romance movie.

Crazy, Stupid, Love

Crazy, Stupid, Love is one of my favorite rom-coms of all time. It stars Steve Carell, Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Marisa Tomei, Joey King and more. The movie follows a few different stories, all eventually revealed to be connected. The main story is that of Cal and his wife, Emily, who decide to divorce. As Cal finds himself unsure of where to go next in the dating world, he runs into Jacob, a flirt and player who decides to teach Cal how to be one too. There is much more to the story, but you will just need to find out yourself! This movie is a true feel-good film.

The Last Five Years

The Last Five Years is a musical/romance film that tells the story of Jamie and Cathy and their relationship over the course of five years. Cathy, portrayed by Anna Kendrick, is a struggling actress while Jamie, portrayed by Jeremy Jordan, is a very successful writer. One of the unique aspects of this musical is that Cathy tells their story from end to beginning, while Jamie tells it from beginning to end. They meet once in the middle for a duet, but then continue telling their stories in the form of alternating solos. The musical genius, the heartbreaking story and the complexity of these characters is incredibly interesting, especially if you are a fan of musicals. If this sounds like something you would enjoy, I could not recommend it more.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I just watched this movie for the first time this week and I fell in love with it. Clementine (Kate Winslet), after a devastating breakup, undergoes a procedure to erase her former boyfriend, Joel (Jim Carrey), from her memory. Joel, after hearing this, decides to undergo the same procedure. The large majority of the film follows Joel’s mind as he begins to forget Clementine. If you love movies where you are a bit confused until it all comes together at the end, this is the one for you. It is a bit quirky and showcases a love story in a way I had never seen before.

Romance films highlight some of the most intimate moments of the characters’ lives and each movie does this differently. I hope that at least one of these movies brings you joy and characters you can connect with.

Ania Sacks

Illinois '26

Hi! I'm Ania Sacks and I'm a freshman at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign studying English.