Profile: Steve Hollon – A Year to Fight Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Thinking back to the beginning of this fall semester, my close friends, classmates and I could not wait for the start of our senior year. It was our last year to celebrate all things “Illini,” and although it seemed sad, we vowed to make the best of it. Steven Hollon, senior at UIUC, is especially making the best of his senior year. On August 24, 2013 Steven was diagnosed with stage 2 testicular cancer.

Steven is not giving up hope, though. On September 9, he began chemotherapy treatments. Steven said that if all goes according to plan, he will only need four rounds of treatment. He began his third round of treatment on Monday, October 28.

He explained that there are three common tumor markers that show up in one’s blood called HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin), LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) and AFP (alpha-fetoprotein). His markers were highly elevated, which is why he was first diagnosed with cancer. Since treatment, the markers have declined throughout each round.

The chemotherapy, however, is taking a toll on him. “I have felt the fatigue and nausea much more as I go through the chemo process,” Hollon said. “Each round builds on each other, so the third and fourth round will be much more difficult than the first two.”

Although he is not in Champaign with the rest of his classmates and fellow Sigma Chi fraternity brothers, Steven continues to stay productive and healthy back at home in Aurora, Ill, and is even trying out new hobbies and setting new goals.

“I’ve never built anything before in my life, but I have been building an 8 foot bar in my house to keep me busy,” he said. “My main personal goal that I have set is to run and bike everyday. I’ve never been much of a runner, but since I’ve been diagnosed, I have run or biked over 50 miles, which is more running than I’ve done since high school sports. I’ve also set a goal to run the half marathon at U of I once I’m all better.”

In addition to biking, building and running, Hollon is also coaching basketball back at this former high school. “I’m the Assistant Men’s Varsity Basketball Coach for my old high school, so that will keep me busy and productive all winter,” he said. “I’ve been trying to stay as busy as possible while I’m feeling good in order to help me forget about chemotherapy and try to live a normal life.”

Overall, Steven is just taking little steps and appreciating each and every one as it comes his way.

“My motivation to keep positive about having cancer is taking all the little positives from the diagnosis,” he said. “I have been blessed with so many great people in my life, and this diagnosis has really shown that. I’ve had meals made for me, generous donations given to me, prayers and services for me, and so many support and kind words. All of these things show how truly blessed I am to have so many great people in my life, so it really helps me stay positive throughout my whole treatment.”

Here on campus, Steven has a huge support system, which is forever grateful for. He noted that his biggest supporter is his girlfriend, Sam Cowles, also a student at UIUC. “[She] has been able to come home for every treatment I’ve gone through,” he said. “It has been amazing to see her stay strong through this whole ordeal and to keep me strong as well.”

His fraternity brothers have also been very supportive of Hollon throughout his treatment. “They shaved their heads for me, held fundraisers, visited me at home and have offered to help out in any way they can,” he said. “I have been able to visit U of I every three weeks during my off-week of chemotherapy, and everyone down there has been so supportive. It has been great to see the whole Greek system come together for me.”

The Steven Hollon Benefit was held in Steven’s honor at Joe’s Brewery this past week, as well. Steven plans to head back to school next semester. He is a business student and will graduate with a degree in accounting next fall.

With attainable goals and a strong support system, Steven is truly making the best out this journey to fight cancer. “I had no idea how many people truly cared for me,” he said. “It’s really been a humbling and awesome experience for me, which is another reason how I have been able to stay so positive.”