Pop Culture Blog: Demi Lovato Proves A Role Model For Young Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Not all celebrities can be called role models. In fact, some of them are true examples of what one should never be, but thankfully there are some celebs worthy of being looked up to, and who deserve to be recognized as role models. This time, it’s Demi Lovato. A newcomer back in 2008, Demi is on top and in control now. She and her music have matured from the bubble gum Camp Rock movie soundtrack to her new heartfelt album, and Demi is the ultimate role model for girls everywhere after publicly dealing with an eating disorder. Here’s a look at what makes Demi Lovato so loveable.

#1 Barney
I dare you to watch just one episode of Barney with Demi Lovato in it and not love her at first sight. With a background that wholesome, it’s no wonder why Demi has grown into a responsible adult, even while in the Hollywood spotlight.

#2 Camp Rock
After High School Musical was such a success, Disney’s next attempt at a huge musical number was Camp Rock, starring Demi and the Jonas Brothers. Not going to lie, I thought it was going to fall flat, but I couldn’t help but love Demi in it; her voice made the movie for me, solidifying my theory that everything is better with Demi Lovato in it.

#3 Selena Gomez
Demi and Selena have been friends since their Barney days and even lived together for a while when their families made the move to L.A. so the girls could be actresses. The friendship has lasted through both girls skyrocketing into fame, several high-profile relationships and even filming a movie together. Demi obviously knows what it takes to be a good friend, which is something to admire.

#4 Rehab
Usually when celebrities check into rehab it’s not a good thing, but leave it to Demi to change that stereotype. The popstar confessed to struggling with an eating disorder and cutting in 2010, and then checked into rehab to get help. Now she’s happy, healthy and inspiring girls everywhere.

#5 Unbroken
Demi’s third solo album, called Unbroken, has some great mature, deep and personal songs about her struggles that are not only honest but totally uplifting. “Skyscraper” is a loveable anthem for girls all around the world who have ever struggled with bullying or insecurities and “Give Your Heart A Break” is a fun, upbeat song about love in which Demi’s vocals are stunning. Gotta admire a girl with real talent.

#6 The Future
As a new judge on X-Factor along with Britney Spears, and the new host of the 2012 Teen Choice Awards, Demi’s future is looking seriously bright. I can’t wait to see where she travels with her new confidence and message. Hopefully wherever that is, she will remain a solid Hollywood role model.