This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Obtaining a higher education is about more than just learning new subject content and taking exams, it is also about growing and developing your adult self. College life allows you to enjoy more independence and freedom, but that also means you are tasked with more responsibilities that you didn’t have before. As a senior, I feel like I can see the progression of myself throughout the last few years of college and I am grateful for the lessons I have learned along the way. There were ups and downs and tricky situations to handle, but I can say that it was worth it because I am who I am today. The advice below is just one girl’s opinion, but I hope it may help someone else navigate their college years!

time management is key

Between classes, work schedules, internships, clubs and other social organizations, time flies by like no other. The days blend together very easily. Setting up a structured schedule for each day or each week may help you keep track of all your activities and plans so that everything gets accomplished in a timely manner. A handwritten planner or Google Calendar are very useful tools for organizing your life. I like to write in all of my classes, work shifts and other commitments at the beginning of each semester and then add in other necessary items as they come up week to week. Taking the time to do this before each semester begins greatly reduces stress when life gets busier.

discovering yourself is just part of the process

These four years that you spend in college will likely be a time of major change in your life. Most often, people move away from home and have to figure things out for themselves without the help of their former support system, like their parents or guardians. You will learn how to approach life with your own perspective instead of the one set up for you during your earlier years. This will be a time when you discover interests and passions, meet tons of new people and add new dimensions to your identity. Struggling is normal and everyone encounters hardships during these years. This transitional period in your life will prepare you to make decisions about your life and career moving forward.

finances and budgeting become more important

I don’t know about others’ financial situations, but I know that I became more responsible for my own purchases and payments in college. I’m grateful that I have parents who are willing to help me out, but a lot of that responsibility fell on me. If you’re living in a dorm and using a meal plan, then rent, groceries and utilities are not a big stressor, but if you move out to an apartment or somewhere else outside of campus, then those things become more important. Getting a part-time job that works with your schedule definitely helps to cover some of those expenses. Building healthy spending and saving habits will benefit you in the long run. I recommend consulting with someone you trust or a professional to help you develop good personal finance strategies.

Hi everyone, my name is Solomiya and I am a junior majoring in Kinesiology at UIUC. Though I study within a STEM related field, I have always loved the arts- especially writing. I am so excited to be on this team and rekindle that writer's spark!