This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Entering your first year of college, it can feel impossible to differentiate what to bring and what to leave behind. As someone who tends to overpack on trips, it only seemed fitting that I would bring way too many things to school my freshman year. After a few years of experience, I think I finally have a packing plan that works for me and my space at university. I’m here to be your big sister and give you my list of essentials that you actually will want and use when you are away from home. Best of luck!

Pieces You’ll Wear Everyday

First off you are going to want to pack staple clothing items that you can wear every day of the week. Think leggings, jeans, shorts and t-shirts- you will want all of your casual, comfy outfits for the majority of the time. You can wear these to class, while studying, at club meetings or just walking around campus. I recommend getting a neutral-colored pair of sneakers to pair with these cute, cozy outfits. As someone who attends a large, BIG10 school, walking everywhere is a given and you’ll want to make sure you have shoes that are comfortable. 

Pieces You’ll Wear a Few Times But Will Want to Have

Moving onto attire you will want to have but most likely will not be wearing 24/7. You will want to have a classic dress that could work for sorority recruitment, business interviews and any formal event. I recommend bringing three dress tops as you will only have a couple of times a semester when dressing up is necessary. Since you are wearing a fancy dress, you cannot forget a pair of heels to go with it. Once again, try to keep the number you bring limited. I would say one neutral pair for professional events and one sparkly pair for semi-formals and more glamorous events. It’s important to remember that you can also buy things when you get to school or borrow something from a friend if you are really in a pinch.

sweaters in cubbies and next to that is hanging skits and shirts in a closet
Original photo by Grace Pellock

A Quick List of Random Things That Are Nice to Have

• Rain boots/rain jacket
  • Shoe rack/holder
  • Winter coat, hat, gloves (if it gets cold)
  • Sunglasses
  • Skirts
  • Athleisure

I hope this list helped you better navigate the exciting process of packing for college for the first time. I know it may seem a bit daunting now, but as you grow up and grow old, it truly does get easier to figure out what you do and do not need. It definitely takes a couple of tries, so try not to worry if it takes you some time to get it down, you’ve got tons of time to practice. You’ve got this! Good luck packing!

Lauren Reidy

Illinois '25

Hi! My name is Lauren and I am a Junior majoring in Communication with minors in both Business and Public Relations at The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I am from Chicago, IL and joined Her Campus my first semester of college to find a group of passionate and empowering women to surround myself with. I love reading books, writing, listening to Taylor Swift, drinking coffee, and taking group fitness classes. I'm so excited that you are on this journey with me, thanks for following along!