5 Movies That Will Get You Into A Fall Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As autumn sets in, it’s time to lean toward movies that match the nostalgic season. Continue reading for some movie recommendations that are perfect for fall!

Coraline

The movie “Coraline” follows a young girl named Coraline Jones, who discovers a hidden door in her new home that leads to a different world. In this alternate reality, life seems so much happier and exciting. However, things quickly change when Coraline realizes the other world isn’t the utopia she perceived it to be. The creepy aesthetics shown in “Coraline” give off a chilling vibe that is perfect for fall time, especially leading up to Halloween.

twilight

“Twilight” is an iconic vampire romance film series that tells the story of Bella Swan, a teenager who moves to a small town and falls in love with a vampire named Edward Cullen. The film is primarily shot in a rainy and overcast setting, which is perfect for getting into the fall spirit. “Twilight” creates a distinct fall-like vibe, making it a film that perfectly resonates with the season. If you’re a lover of the romance genre, this series is for you!

it’s the great pumpkin, charlie brown

“It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” is a classic animated TV special that follows the Peanuts gang as they celebrate Halloween. The story centers around Linus’s belief in the Great Pumpkin, a mythical creature he believes visits the pumpkin patch every Halloween. With the movie’s depictions of tick-or-treating, Halloween costumes, pumpkin patches, and much more, it 100% embodies the spirit of fall. This is a must-watch for those seeking a movie that truly feels like fall.

Halloweentown

“Halloweentown” is another classic film that perfectly brings on the spirit of fall and Halloween. Set in a fictional town where it’s Halloween all year round, the film follows the story of Marnie Piper and her siblings, who discover that they come from a line of witches. When an evil force threatens Halloweentown, the kids work together with their grandmother to fight the force while also learning more about their power as a family of witches. This movie is the perfect pick for the fall season, as it embraces the magic and fun that surrounds Halloween.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

“The Nightmare Before Christmas” is a film that follows the story of Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King of Halloween Town, as he discovers Christmas Town and becomes determined to bring the Christmas spirit back to Halloween Town. With a blend of Halloween and Christmas themes, the film transitions from the aesthetic of Halloween to the festive spirit of the holiday season. It’s a movie that effortlessly gives off a fall vibe and the excitement of the upcoming holidays.

These are by far my favorite choices for a fall movie night! Seasonal films are super special, as they offer a chance to feel nostalgia. They also make great seasonal traditions for friend groups and family!

Lauren Cravens

Illinois '25