This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Colder weather and changing leaves means that summer is over, and fall is here to stay! To some, this may come as a disappointment, but it doesn’t have to be! There’s nothing like plugging in some fairy lights, snuggling in a cozy blanket and lighting a nice candle while you spend your day indoors. With that being said, here are some of my favorite fall scents that will make you excited to stay in! PS–this article is not sponsored!

Chai by Sand + Fig

This candle smells like a mix of nutmeg, vanilla, and, of course, chai! This scent takes me back to my childhood and makes me want to curl up in a ball and read a book all day. If you’re looking for something that is cozy and classy, this scent is definitely for you! 

Crisp Morning Air by Bath and Body Works

I have one word to describe this scent: fresh. Though you cannot purchase this scent as a candle online, they do sell this scent as a wallplug… you won’t even be able to tell the difference! Notes of fresh pine, juniper and pear make this scent reminiscent of a cool, autumn’s day. If you’re looking for something fresh and relaxing, then waste no time investing in this scent!

Vanilla Pumpkin by Threshold (sold at Target)

Before we talk about the smell, we need to take a second and appreciate how cute the packaging is! Of course, a fall scents list would not be complete without pumpkin… so why not add vanilla in there too?! The scent will make your house smell like a bakery. If you’re into sweeter and more vibrant scents, this candle is for you!

Sweater Weather by White Barn

The name is so fitting for autumn, and so is the scent. This candle combines the fragrances of eucalyptus, sage, juniper berry and fresh woods. I love how the eucalyptus helps ease my mind while the other scents are earthy and clean. If you want a scent that is both inviting and calming, then you’ll love this candle!

Nostalgic Cinnamon & White Pepper by Yankee Candle

This candle smells like pumpkin spice, and everything nice… but without the pumpkin. But the blend of nutmeg, cinnamon, white pepper and musk gives total fall vibes. If you’re looking for a unique yet timeless scent for fall, this one is for you!

Go ahead and light a candle, bake some cookies, wrap yourself in a cozy blanket and relax. These candles will be sure to brighten up your day (or night)! 

Alisha Haque

Illinois '27

Alisha is an undergraduate freshman at the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign. She's majoring in global studies on the pre-medicine track, and is so excited to write for HerCampus this year!