Music Blog: Rihanna vs. Chris Brown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Photo

Even though Rihanna and Chris Brown split up over 3 years ago, they are still communicating with one another via song. From RiRi’s “I Like the Way it Hurts” and her latest video with a Chris Brown look-a-like, “We Found Love, to Chris Brown’s “All Back” and “She Ain’t You,” it really isn’t a secret that this flame is still burning. HC is taking a look at just how CB continues to go back and forth with RiRi via song.  Lego.

“If you got eyes, Look at Me Now, bi—.”

“You never miss a good thing ‘till it’s gone I want it all, now I want it All Back.

“When she touches me I’m wishing that they were your hands and when I’m with her it’s only about the sex with you I had a bad romance.” She Ain’t You.

Don’t believe it? Just last week, Chris Brown went on a Twitter rant after people began to rehash the 2009 assault on Rihanna. One of his tweets read, “ADULTS!!!! That S—t happened three years ago. I know a lot of you wack a- (OLD) celebrities wanna f—my ex, but talking s—on me won’t get you far! And to be REALLY HONEST, y’all wonder why n—a spazzes all the time?”

The certain celeb Chris is referring to that wants to get with RiRi? It’s most likely Drake. Drake’s connection to Rihanna has not only fueled headlines but it also went under the microscope when the song “What’s My Name?” debuted last year. Drake whose latest album, Take Care, was just released last week has a new song with Rihanna –Take Care. Is this the latest installment in the Rihanna, Chris Brown, Drake love triangle? Potentially. With lines like:

“I’ll be there for you, I will care for you. I keep thanking you, just don’t know try to run from that on your face girl, it just don’t show when you’re ready, just say you’re ready when all the baggage just ain’t as heavy and the party’s over, just don’t forget me we’ll change the pace and go slow won’t ever have to worry.”

The Drake, RiRi, CB triangle continues on.

But what does Rihanna have to say about all of this in her music? In her latest single, “We Found Love” Rihanna’s lines not only suggest that she’s talking about the lingering woes of her relationship to Chris Brown, but also her music video features a Chris Brown look-a-like, Dudley O’Shaughnessey. In the making of “We Found Love,” Rihanna told fans, “We’ve never done a video like this before. This is probably one of the deepest videos I’ve ever done. It’s all about love and love being like a drug…you definitely get that from this. The good feeling of it and the dangers of it. That’s what the video is all about.” –Rihanna

While Chris Brown and Rihanna certainly are not on speaking terms in the direct sense, it seems that these two are still asking one another to read between the lines of their music.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!