Music Blog: Five Albums You Should Listen To This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Fall always feels like a time of rebirth for me. Whether it’s because of school starting or the resurgence of Starbucks’ pumpkin spice lattes, it always seems like a fresh start. And with every fresh start, there’s a need for a fresh soundtrack to match. I’ve rounded up the five best fall albums that will become the perfect background music for your life this season – whether you’re prepping for a barn dance or taking a Sunday trip to the apple orchard.

Mumford & Sons – “Babel”
Everyone’s favorite alt-folk band has dusted off their banjos and brought them back with a vengeance. Following the incredible success of their debut album, “Sigh No More,” Mumford & Sons delivers a lot of what we all feel in love with in the beginning: swelling instruments, sway-able melodies and poetic lyrics. And don’t worry, there are still plenty of banjo breaks for you to rock out to.
Tracks to check out: “Holland Road,” “Lover of the Light”

The xx – “Coexist”
If you listened to The xx’s self-titled debut album, “Coexist,” shouldn’t surprise you. They haven’t departed from the sound that put them on the music map, and no one’s complaining about it. If you’re in need of a new homework playlist, this album should suffice. The vocals are relaxed and simple enough for you to recognize the beauty of the music, yet simple enough for it to not be distracting.
Tracks to check out: “Angels,” “Sunset”

G.O.O.D. Music – “Cruel Summer”
Kanye West has summoned his favorite artists and friends (most of which are signed to his own label, G.O.O.D. Music) to give us a solid collaboration album. Every verse of Kanye’s is brilliant, as can be expected from the man that has claimed his “presence is a present.” Songs feature everyone from Jay-Z and Big Sean to R. Kelly and John Legend, so there’s a little something for everyone. If you’re looking for something fresh in the hip-hop/rap genre or just looking to gain a little insight into the relationship of Kanye West and Kim Kardashian (yes, he goes there), you’ll definitely want to download this.
Tracks to check out: “Clique,” “To The World”

Grizzly Bear – “Shields”
After appearing on “The Colbert Report” in August, Shields proves that “Grizzly Bear” is worthy of the “Colbert bump.” They were also probably one of the better-known acts at 2012’s Pygmalion music festival. To me, this is the most “fall” album on the list. I can vividly see myself sitting on the quad, sipping a latte and listening to the haunting harmonies and beautiful instrumentation that “Grizzly Bear” has blessed us with. The album provides a very relaxing feeling for the listener, but the melodies will still make you want to sing along.
Tracks to check out: “Yet Again,” “Speak In Rounds”

Carly Rae Jepsen – “Kiss”
I know we’re all pretty much over “Call Me Maybe” (we’ll forget about you listening to it on your way to class yesterday), but consider this your guilty pleasure album of the season. This album is pure pop, so if you’re looking for music to write a philosophy paper to, this probably isn’t it. However, if you need something to put on while you get ready to go out or go for a run, this will definitely do it. These songs are catchy – I mean, we’re talking about the girl that did “Call Me Maybe.” So rest assured that by first listen you will find yourself dancing and singing along.
Tracks to check out: “Tonight I’m Getting Over You,” “This Kiss”