Meet Campus Celebrity: Ben Burbridge, Senior Defender on the Illini Hockey Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Ben Burbridge, a UIUC student majoring in Mechanical Engineering, is a defender on the Illini Men’s Hockey Team. Ben and his team recently traveled to Delaware for nationals where they beat the Arizona Wildcats in the first round. Then, they advanced to play Oklahoma, but this unfortunately ended in a win for Oklahoma. As the Illini Hockey Team’s awesome season came to end, I got a chance to talk with senior defender from Naperville, Ill, Burbridge.

HC: How long have you been playing hockey?

Ben Burbridge: I’ve been playing hockey since I was in kindergarten, so since I was about 5. My sister was into figure skating at the time, and my best friend played and convinced me to come out. After a year of learning to skate in my sister’s program, my parents were willing to let me give it a shot.

HC: When did you join the Illini Hockey Team?

BB: I joined Illini Hockey my freshman year. My first year, I was on the Division II team. I moved up to the Division I team my second year and have been there ever since.

HC: How has your team been preparing for nationals?

BB: We have been preparing for nationals by trying to come together as a team. All year, our biggest problem has been inconsistency, and we think that has boiled down to everyone not being on the same page. As far as we’re concerned, if we are excited to play and willing to sacrifice for the guy next to us, there’s nothing that can stop us.

HC: Do you have any pregame rituals?

BB: As far as pregame superstitions go, I don’t have anything too out of the ordinary. Mostly it’s just focusing on the game, stretching out with teammates and listening to music. I try to visualize different situations that could occur in the game so I know what to do without thinking when if they actually do happen.

HC: What is your favorite part about playing hockey?

BB: My favorite part about hockey is just being on the ice with the boys. I think that hockey presents a rare team atmosphere that is hard to compete with in any other sport. We spend so much time together and go through so much that it really does become like a family.

HC: What does your weekly hockey schedule look like?

BB: We have four practices a week, one being an hour long and three being an hour and a half long. Some weeks we have video sessions that last about 45 minutes, and we have off ice workouts 2-3 times a week that are generally on our own time. We have games Friday and Saturday nights, virtually every weekend between mid September and the beginning of March.

HC: Any advice for younger hockey players out there?

BB: I’d say just to keep your head up and play. Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re not good enough or that you can’t do it. If you want it bad enough, you can get it as long as you’re willing to put in the work and sacrifice some things. For a true hockey player, though, they don’t need to be told. Sacrifice comes with the job.