This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As Women’s History Month comes to a close and the buzz of the month comes to an end, it is important to take another look at women’s history and how women have impacted the world in countless ways. Media is so impactful in today’s society, and there are so many women who have created media about women. To wrap-up your Women’s History Month, here are some pieces of media created by women, for women that you can enjoy all year round.

Jagged

“Jagged” is a documentary about the iconic singer Alanis Morissette. The documentary follows her life and career and includes various interviews with Morissette who speaks about her experience as a woman wanting to pave her own path and create her own sound in the music industry. It is important to note that Morissette did not particularly enjoy the final product, but I encourage you to watch it and read her commentary on it. Alanis Morissette paved a path for women in the music industry to create the music they want to. Her story and her words hold such strong importance. Directed by Alison Klayman and featuring Alanis Morissette, this documentary highlights female directors and artists.

On the Basis of Sex

Directed by Mimi Leder, this film follows the story of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Ginsburg was such an incredibly influential woman who fought so strongly for what she believed in. The film does not tell her entire story, but it highlights some of her toughest battles. There are multiple pieces of media that portray parts of Ginsburg, this is only one of them. She is such a powerful woman and one who society should learn from. If you are at all interested in Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s story, give this film a watch.

Battle of the Sexes

This film, co-directed by Valerie Faris and Jonathan Dayton follows the stories of Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs, their journeys in the world of tennis, and their eventual battle against one another. King, like Morissette and Ginsburg, made incredible strides for women in her profession. King also has a book titled “All In,” which is an autobiography. King became a role-model of mine after seeing this film and reading her autobiography. I encourage you to learn about her and her accomplishments.

Music

The previous examples of media have all been films, but I find that there is something very special and impactful about music tied to women. Lizzo, for example, is a musician whose songs tend to be about female empowerment. In the same realm fall Pink, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Alanis Morissette, and more. There are so many female artists who either preach feminism in their songs, participate in feminist acts, or both. I encourage you to find female artists who empower women and to listen to their music.

These are just a few examples of media by women, for women. I encourage you to use these examples as a starting point and find other media by women that you can learn from not just this month, but always.

Ania Sacks

Illinois '26

Hi! I'm Ania Sacks and I'm a freshman at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign studying English.