Making Long-Distance Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Like many other couples out there, my fiancé and I are in a long distance relationship. We went to different high schools and now we’re at different colleges. The distance from Champaign to South Bend is about 200 miles, and there’s no bus that takes you directly there, so our trips consisted of two buses and a lot of travel time.

It’s been tough but we’re doing more than okay and along the way, we’ve learned how to make it work. If we can do it, anyone can. You just have to take some friendly advice.

Don’t skip events just because “you have a boyfriend/girlfriend”

Maybe I’m only saying this because it’s a pet peeve of mine when my “taken” friends do this, but don’t just stay in and reject your friends when they invite you to go out just because you’re seeing someone. You and your partner should trust each other and you should be able to go out with your friends even if you are seeing someone. Enjoy your college time.

Don’t keep your phone attached to your hip

Okay, we’re all a little but guilty of this, but sometimes you just need to put your phone down and enjoy what’s going on around you. My fiancé gets a little annoyed when I don’t respond for a few hours, but he’s realized that I’m busy, I have plans and sometimes I just don’t want to keep checking my phone every five minutes.

Ask about their day and actually listen

When we first started dating, I was so in love with college and my new life that all I wanted to do was talk about my day and my friends, and I barely let Noe get a word in. Now, I’ve learned that sometimes I need to just shut up and let him tell me what’s going on in his life.

Don’t listen to the negativity

If you’re in long-distance relationship, then you’ve bound to have had someone ask you why you stick it through? I am in a long-distance relationship because I want to be, and my fiancé and I are perfect for each other. I don’t think you need to justify why your significant other is so far away or why you’re choosing to stay with them.

Realize that your relationship doesn’t revolve around you

You’re a team. Just because you’ve been having a stressful day doesn’t mean you have the right to lash out at your partner or blabber on about your bad day for hours on end. Sometimes you need to put your partner before yourself and learn how to compromise. If he or she doesn’t want to visit you this weekend, maybe you can rearrange your schedule and try to visit them instead. Try to make things work for both of you, not just for one of the two.

Make mistakes and learn from them

Relationships are about sacrifices and knowing when to admit that you’re wrong. Long-distance relationships are especially difficult, and you’re going to have some slip-ups along the way. Know when to say you’re sorry, but also know when you’re right and deserve an apology.

Don’t get discouraged

Sometimes it’s hard walking around campus and seeing all the other couples holding hands or having a picnic on the Quad when your partner is so far away. But, just remember that those long bus rides, late nights staying up on Skype with them and counting down the days until they get here for the weekend; it’s all worth it.

I wouldn’t trade my long distance relationship for anything. And sometimes, it’s great not having to share the blankets with anyone and great to just have some me time.

Photo Sources:

http://www.pinterest.com/kerri1029/love3/

http://31.media.tumblr.com/fca52ed92ebc8d151923c91cfac55d1e/tumblr_mqzk1lzcDR1sd8wtjo1_500.jpg