The Lowdown on the Spring Break Slimdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

More salads? Check. More gym time? Check. More freaking out over the perfect beach bod? Well, join almost every other college girl in America.

I’m not even hitting the beach this spring break, but I have been caught up in the healthy hype that plagues Collegiates as they count down the final days before break. Across the country, students are making last ditch efforts to eat healthy and lose the flab before landing in the sand and sun.

As a freshman, one of the biggest points stated to you is the dreaded “Freshmen 15” when entering college. And let me say that the laughs I had when I first heard of this concept were ill timed. I was fortunate enough to eat healthy and work out from the start. Though the late night snacks and free pizza spell trouble, it is possible to avoid the fated weight gain. I have been able to, but I’ve played witness to many friends who haven’t been as fortunate.

The crys of “don’t let me eat this,” or “make sure we go the gym tomorrow,” are real. And as the days dwindle towards spring break, these comments have become more and more frequent. This begs the question: would life be simpler if we had such a mentality from the start? No, we don’t need to follow extremes and go overboard freaking out over every cookie or missed gym day. Please, I love a good meal and dessert as much as every other person on the planet. And it is not always easy, and one doesn’t always have to turn down the fat-loaded food for a plate of veggies at every meal.

But, by making lifestyle changes over a longer period of time, I’ve seen that it is much more manageable rather than trying to execute plans in weeks or even days as some dieters tend to do.

With limited dining hall options, eating healthy isn’t always easy, but UIUC has given students a place to start. My dining plan is the 10-45, meaning I get 10 meals a week in addition to $45 in credits which I can spend on anything that the residence hall convenience stores offer. I’ll use a meal each night for dinner and the remaining for some lunches but the $45 is where one has a lot of freedom. I’ll use the credits to buy Greek yogurt and granola bars for lunches when I don’t have meal credits.

For meals, I really try to stick with simple and the freshest ingredients you can find, which is sometimes difficult. My favorite days are when there is grilled chicken and I can make a salad packed with veggies and protein from the chicken. It leaves you feeling fresh and not bloated down by all the grease that coats other options like pizza or fries. Most halls offer a salad bar for every meal. I’ll always grab a piece of fruit on the way out to save for a midday snack.

One of the other cool features that UIUC has that makes it easier to be healthy is its specialty restaurants. Field of Greens and Leafy at LAR offer vegetarian options that make eating well a breeze.

Though it isn’t always easy, eating well is vital to a healthy lifestyle. And it’s important to realize that it cannot be done just over a period of a few weeks leading up to spring break. Yes, I’m still stressing with all my friends about cutting down on the unhealthy as spring break gets closer, but Collegiates everywhere should take that mindset year round.

College! Can anything be more exciting! Born and raised on the southside of Chicago, I went to high school in the city so coming to the middle of the cornfields is a big change, but one I am very excited for. When I’m not busy stressing about school, I enjoy reading, having crazy adventures with friends, and just living to the fullest. (Insert one of my numerous favorite Pintrest quotes here) Fresh out of high school, I’m ready to report on all things collegiate and take you along my wild and sure to be bumpy road that is freshman year!