Style > Fashion

How To Stay Stylish In Winter Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Getting dressed for fall weather is always fun as it’s finally cool enough to wear pants and jackets. You can also add cute hats and boots, and anything you please to every outfit you wear. Unfortunately, the transition from fall to winter weather can put a serious damper on your style. Here’s a short guide on how to feel fashionable in the cold weather (while still being warm).

1. Winter Coats

The need to wear a winter coat once the temperature starts to drop is probably the number one culprit when it comes to instantly ruining a good outfit. You can have the cutest pair of jeans on with your new, cozy sweater, but the second you throw on a down coat over that look, it feels like your style goes out the window.

One of the best ways to combat this difficulty is to find a winter coat that is both warm and flattering, and can be matched with a wide variety of outfits. My personal favorite is a cropped puffer jacket. From Nordstrom and H&M, to Pretty Little Thing and even Chanel, there’s a good chance that you can find your perfect cropped winter coat at your go-to store. To make sure that it can match with everything in your wardrobe, try finding one in a neutral color (such as black or white) that won’t clash with even the busiest of patterns.

2. Chunky Scarves

Maybe it was just me, but when I was a kid, there was nothing I hated more than having to put a scarf on when I left the house on cold, winter days. Luckily, thick and cozy scarves are now trending! There’s a good chance that you’ve seen these chunky scarves on your Instagram or Pinterest feed over the past year. 

Screen Shot 2022 11 10 at 63227 PM?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Gap

The fun thing about adding a scarf to your look (beyond the fact that you’ll feel considerably warmer) is that you can choose if you want it to be colorful or patterned to make a simple outfit a little more fun or go for a simpler, toned-down look that can match anything you wear.

3. Fleece-lined tights

Something that I always find frustrating when I go to pick out an outfit for cold weather is the fact that skirts are no longer practical to wear outside. Thankfully, there is a very easy solution to this problem that allows you to wear even the shortest of mini skirts year round (without freezing your legs off).

Wearing fleece-lined tights under skirts (or even under pants for an extra layer of warmth) makes it a million times easier to feel cute and stylish in the winter weather, and allows you to wear those short skirts all year without sacrificing your comfort.

Girl With Snow In Trees 1
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Ava Delariman

Illinois '25

I'm a sophomore at the University of Illinois majoring in Creative Writing, and I love all things fashion, pop culture, and wellness :)