This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As the end of the semester approaches, you need to transition into study mode. Though studying can be taxing, it does not need to be! Follow these simple steps and ease your stress!

The Outfit 

The outfit is important. Trust me on this one! You’ll want to wear whatever makes you feel cute and comfy. Consider wearing the outfit that you like to run errands in, or the outfit that you lounge around in the house. Additionally, wear blue light glasses when working on your laptop. Blue light glasses will help alleviate eye strain and potentially any headaches associated with working on a computer screen for a long amount of time. The bottom: let you and your body be comfortable while your mind is hard at work!

The Atmosphere

Surround yourself in a positive, clean and quiet space. Make sure you create an environment where you can completely focus. A place where you can dedicate your attention to studying, writing a paper, completing a project, etc. Your study space doesn’t necessarily need to be silent and in solitude. If you work better in a busy and cozy cafe, then totally go for it! I recommend trying Cafe Paradiso or Espresso Royale if that’s what you’re looking for. On the other side, you can romanticize your environment by doing the following:

• Lighting a candle, using essential oils or utilizing a wax melter
  • Forgoing the use of harsh overhead lighting
  • Listening to music (classical, white noise, etc.)
  • Turning on warm lights or letting in natural light
  • Cleaning up your space before studying
  • Having a drink around you
  • Settling into a comfortable spot

The Mindset

Your mindset is the most important part. If you are feeling the pressure while studying, then take a few deep breaths. I know finals are right around the corner but letting yourself relax will help reduce the chances of study burnout. If you are feeling behind, then take everything one step at a time. During this time, we might feel that we are behind and that there isn’t enough time to get work done. This is totally normal to feel this way under pressure. Again, take everything one step at a time. Take breaks regularly. Most importantly, take time for yourself. It is essential to have a balance between spending time on courses and spending time doing what you want. 

The Plan

Get yourself a planner if you don’t have one already. Keep track of when assignments and projects are due. Mark on the calendar any due dates and exam dates. For day-to-day, physically write down the things you have to get done that day. This will help you keep on track and focused. Plus, it’s so satisfying to be able to check off an item on your to-do list! Moreover, give yourself enough time to complete assignments, projects, etc. Start working on coursework early. Start studying early. 

Be the person that performs well on their exams and looks good while doing it. Be the person that walks into the exam knowing that you are prepared, and they are ready to take that exam. Be proud of the difficult project that you just completed. Be self-assured of all of the work that you’ve put into the end of the semester. You got this!

Autumn Bunzell

Illinois '27

Hi there! My name is Autumn Rose, and I'm from Utica, Illinois. I live minutes away from Starved Rock State Park. I attended LaSalle-Peru Township High School which consists of only about 1,200 students. Within my family, I'm the youngest in a close-knit household, and I have an older sister who I absolutely adore. As well, I have a golden retriever and a grey tabby cat. Currently, I'm a first-year neuroscience student at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. Both the physical and psychological aspects of the human brain fascinate me. In addition, I'm interested in nutrition and how this field can be applied to neuroscience. There is a field labeled nutritional neuroscience that studies how the consumption of food, minerals, and supplements impacts an individual's cognition, mood, and overall brain health. Outside of the classroom, my hobbies vary tremendously. Music wise, I listen to Bryce Vine and Bazzi, but I also love Etta Mae, Arethra Franklin, and Frank Sinatra. As I do my morning routine, I listen to health and wellness podcasts on Spotify. In between classes, I do yoga and Pilates. At night, I love to do some skincare, and then crawl into bed with one of my books. Typically, I partake in crocheting and baking in the colder months. As a side note, my favorite season is fall because of the cool weather and all of the pumpkin/apple candles, foods, coffees, etc.