This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Before you can truly love someone else, you need to first learn how to love yourself. If you’re at a breaking point in your life, it’s important to know that you’re not alone. Even if everyone else decides to leave, you will always have yourself, your soul, and your body. But where do I start? How do I learn to love myself again?

5. Don’t lose yourself in relationships

It’s very easy to focus on others instead of ourselves. To tend to their needs and completely forget about our own. It would be easy to take on the qualities and traits your partner wants you to have, forgetting that you’re your own person with your own qualities that deserve to be seen. Part of knowing how to love yourself and others in a relationship is to communicate and identify your own needs as well. You need to be your own person too.

4. embrace your fears

Try to step out of your comfort zone once in a while. Try that new type of food you’ve read about, learn a new language, or say yes to bungee jumping the next time you have the opportunity to do it. It will not only show you that you can do so much more than you thought before, but it will give you great memories you can carry with you. You’ll know that you did it for yourself, not for others.

3. Only speak kind words

Treat yourself like you would treat others. Would you yell at your best friend or call her hateful words? You need to learn to be your own best friend and treat yourself like one, too. The way you talk to yourself affects your mood and behavior. Stop comparing yourself to all the celebrities, influencers, and other people. You are always worthy of love.

2. make time for your passions

Make sure to include in your routine the things that give you joy. Buy a journal and use it as a safe form of expression whenever you feel overwhelmed or burned out. Read a page of that book that keeps on sitting on your bookshelf. Write, draw, meditate, go on a bike ride, or watch your comfort show. Just do something for yourself and remember that you are talented and amazing.

1. learn how to do things alone

Take yourself out on a date to your favorite restaurant or a coffee shop. Practice self-care by doing an “at-home” spa and watching your favorite movie. Come to terms with the fact that you don’t need other people in order to be happy. Accept the fact that people come and go, but you have yourself forever. Learning how to be at peace with yourself and doing simple things alone will help you understand your own needs better.

The journey to self-love can take a long time but it’s one of the most important things you can do in your life. Accepting yourself and understanding that you deserve so much more than you allow yourself to feel, will help improve the quality of your life. You are an amazing human being and you deserve all of the love you can get; both from others and from yourself.

Liv Barwinska

Illinois '24

Hi! I was the previous VP of Editorial for the Illinois chapter and I majored in Journalism. Writing has always been a big part of my life and Her Campus allowed me to follow my passion, while being surrounded by amazing and supportive girls. These past two years with HC have been incredible and I'll forever be grateful for my time here. Go Illini! All the love, Liv xx