How to Snag Your Dream Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Internships. As intimidating as they may sound, they are the first real step to getting the kind of hands-on experience employers in the real world are looking for.

A “U.S. News and Report” article stated, “University officials and employers almost universally maintain that partaking in an internship—or several, which sets a student apart from his or her peers even more—before graduation is integral to finding meaningful employment in today’s seemingly impenetrable job market.”

So in other words…a degree alone is not always enough.

Yeah, I know. Scary thought, right?

Luckily, Her Campus has you covered. It’s in your best interest to find an internship, so why not make sure it’s one you’ll enjoy? Follow these tips to ensure you end up with the internship of your dreams.

Find connections

Always remember the power of networking. The world is often a smaller place than we think, and if you ask around enough you’re bound to find someone you know that has some sort of connection to the field you’re trying to find an internship in. Making connections through your parents, friends, professors, and peers could help you find those opportunities and references you may not even be aware you had access to.

Be a strong applicant

This may seem obvious, but still keep it in mind. In college there are so many opportunities for you to develop your skills and experiences. Take advantage of them as much as possible and build up your resume. Don’t be afraid to utilize resume critique workshops, mock interviews, and other resources offered through campus career centers and other organizations. Using these types of resources will make sure that you have the skills necessary to be a strong competitor for the internship position.

Make yourself stand out

A CNN article stated that, “Relying only on your bachelor’s to land a job is not the safest route to employment. As with most things, it’s all in the presentation.”

Since your potential employer has probably interviewed several other well-qualified applicants for the same position, it’s important to make sure you leave a lasting impression during the interview process. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Be friendly. The last thing you’d want to do is come off as a “robot” or someone too impersonal and easy to forget.

Make sure you smile, show your personality, and highlight the qualities that make you special. Convince employers why you would be a valuable asset to their workplace.

Know what you’re signing up for

We’ve all heard of the student who is hired as an intern but ends up doing more coffee-fetching and paper filing than actual work in their field of interest. Now if you’re just looking for a resume-filler, maybe you’re satisfied with an internship like that. But if you’re looking for your dream internship, chances are you’re going to want something a little more exciting and meaningful. Go into the process having a good idea of what type of internship you expect to have.

“What I would say to those who are applying for internships is to know exactly what you’re looking for,” says Anil Jason, a senior computer science major who has interned locally with EnterpriseWorks. “Some people like biggers things, like people like smaller things, but they all have their benefits.”

So to make sure there are no surprises, do your research and ask questions. Not only will it ensure that you know the type of work you will be doing, it will also help show employers you are truly interested in the position.

And lastly, be persistent

If you don’t get the first position you apply for, don’t be discouraged. Sometimes it takes a few tries to nail it, so treat each process as a learning experience. If you don’t land an internship the first time, don’t give up. Figure out what you can improve on for the next time you apply and remember that when one door closes, another one opens.

So now that you have some tips to get you started on snagging that dream internship, get out there and start searching! Remember that while it may seem intimidating at first, as long as you stay focused and confident in your abilities, your search will ultimately be successful.

Good luck!

Images: giphy.com, Getty Images

Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter