This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

When I bought tickets in May of 2022 to see Harry Styles in concert, my first feeling was elation at the fact that I’d beaten out Ticketmaster’s brutal queue system and thousands of other near-rabid fans for a coveted seat in Styles’ sequined presence. 

My second feeling was panic. What was I going to wear?

As fans of musicians like Harry Styles and Taylor Swift have transformed concerts into runway shows, reflecting the aesthetics of their favorite musicians into their outfits, buying tickets to these events has become a commitment to turning a look.

Gone are the days of showing up to a concert in a band tee and your favorite jeans; if you’re going to a show, it’d better be in the most fashionable clothing you own (accompanied by an equally chic Instagram post displaying said clothing).

The trend of dressing up for concerts has been perpetuated on social media platforms like TikTok, where concertgoers often post their outfit ideas and flex about the niche references to their favorite artists that they’ve incorporated – subtly or not – into their looks.

But what this trend also requires is money and resources. Concert tickets are a big enough investment as-is; the added cost of an elaborate outfit can get expensive, and many of the people participating in this new concert culture are young, full-time students who may not have the funds to support such purchases.

In addition to the cost of the outfit, the time that goes into seeking out specific pieces to match an artists’ aesthetic simply isn’t feasible for everyone. After all, the musicians performing for these fashion-forward crowds often have an excess of money to spend on their tour outfits – not to mention entire styling teams dedicated to their wardrobe and makeup.

That’s not to say that there’s anything wrong with going all-out and buying a bold new outfit for your next concert, of course. If it makes you happy, go for it! But if you can’t, or simply don’t want to, there’s also no shame in putting a look together using pieces you already own. You might even surprise yourself with a new clothing combo that you hadn’t considered before.

I think the biggest thing anyone can take away from the trend of over-the-top concert wear is that creativity is key. Whether you’re buying new or wearing something old, the people that seem to have the most fun at these events are the ones who show out in something inventive. 

After all, what’s not to like about dressing up as the key lime green dog from “the last great american dynasty”? If you’re going to see your favorite musician live, you might as well do it in something memorable.

Anne Sattler at the United Center for Harry Styles
Photo by Patty Sattler
Hannah Lonergan

Illinois '25

Editorial writer for Her Campus at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign