tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw

Hot Take: I Enjoyed the Five Nights at Freddy’s Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As a child who grew up with no clue what Five Nights at Freddy’s was, my roommate was very surprised to hear that I actually enjoyed watching the Five Nights at Freddy’s movie with her.

To preface, my roommate hated it. But in my defense, she grew up watching Markiplier’s gameplays of the video game and is an avid movie connoisseur. 

Here is why I actually LIKED the FNAF movie. 

Netflix/See-Saw

ENGAGING

I’m not really a movie person. I fall asleep almost instantaneously if something isn’t keeping me engaged, and movies are very very good at making me lose my focus and doze off. The Five Nights at Freddy’s movie did an amazing job at making sure that something was always keeping my attention. Whether it be creepy yet comical animatronics, a weird plotline about the main character’s younger brother and sister, or the daughter of the grandmaster of Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria, there was always something going on. I never felt like scenes were dragging on for too long or that I needed to check the time to see how much longer I’d have to bear the boredom. 

COMICAL 

I have to admit, it wasn’t the most groundbreaking, jaw-dropping, earth-shattering movie to exist. However, something about “bad” movies is that the poor quality is almost a redeeming aspect. Like have you ever put yourself through the pain of watching The Kissing Booth or the After series at a sleepover just so you and your friends could get a kick out of it? That’s what the Five Nights at Freddy’s movie did for me, minus the cringe and awkward teenage love plotline. It was so nonsensical at some points, that it almost helped make the movie funnier and way more tolerable. 

PRODUCTION

Now, by no means am I an expert on movies. It’s actually quite the opposite. But, in my opinion, the animations/CGI done for the animatronics were really realistic. In the scenes where the main character’s younger sister would go up to hug them, they seemed like real, creepy evil robots. If I saw that animatronic in real life I would 100% be running away and screaming bloody murder. 

I know that my bootleg analysis of the Five Nights at Freddy’s movie is probably not the most convincing. But, if you and your friends are having a sleepover anytime soon and need a funny movie to watch and possibly make fun of, don’t overlook the pleasure that the FNAF movie can bring to you. It’s engaging, funny and can be pretty creepy at times too. If you were thinking of giving it a shot, then here’s your cue. Maybe you’ll love it just as much as I did!

Haley Kharvari

Illinois '27

Hi! My name is Haley Kharvari and I'm a freshman at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I'm majoring in economics and legal studies, on the pre-law track. My hometown is Schaumburg, Illinois, a Chicago suburb. In my free time love to rock climb, thrift, bake, and more!