Health/Fitness Blog: Your Guide to the Best Workout Spots on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

For us Collegiettes, working out is a necessity. We’re constantly tempted: dining hall buffets, late night pizza, vending machine snacks and holiday treats. But thankfully, we have a way to burn off those calories. The University of Illinois has some of the best workout facilities in the country. We have the Activities and Recreation Center (ARC), Campus Recreation Center East (CRCE) and, of course, the great outdoors.

The same old workout on the same old machine can get boring. So, why not switch things up? Each of these fitness facilities offers unique opportunities and a change of scenery.

1. Activities and Recreation Center (ARC)

Located on Peabody Drive, the ARC is one of the hottest spots on campus. Why? Well, first off, it’s huge. 340,000 square feet, to be exact. Upon walking through the sliding glass doors, you find yourself in the Winter Garden, a vast entryway characterized by greenery, couches, flat-screen televisions and a skylight. A swipe of your I-card and you’re in the main workout area. On the main floor, there’s an array of cardio machines to choose from: ellipticals, treadmills, stair-climbers, stationary bikes and more. One floor above, there’s the upper level, which offers even more cardio machines. The best part about this floor is the core area, complete with foam mats, stability balls, medicine balls and other accessories for core training. If you’re looking to do intensive weight training, then the lower level is the perfect place to go. Sweaty boys mostly populate this area, but once in a while, a Collegiette is spotted near the free weights. The ARC also has a climbing wall, an indoor track, an indoor and outdoor pool, racquetball courts, a giant sauna and basketball courts. It’s the perfect destination for fitness enthusiasts and noobs alike. On your way out, be sure to stop by the Courtside Cafe. Hey, you exercised — you deserve a chocolate chip cookie! 

2. Campus Recreation Center East (CRCE)

CRCE, albeit much smaller than the ARC, still has much to offer. This facility boasts an excellent location. It’s on Gregory Drive, just a few blocks away from the Quad. After swiping into the entrance level through the Rotunda Entrance, you have a couple different options. If you’re feeling nautical, then definitely check out the Aquatic Center. The indoor pool is the ideal place to do a swim workout or simply have fun with friends. For the latter option, there’s a water slide and a hot tub, two awesome things that the ARC most certainly does not have. For those who don’t feel like getting wet, there’s more on the entrance level: gymnasiums, multi-purpose rooms and racquetball courts. On the upper level, you can run laps around the track, lift weights or use your favorite cardio machine. CRCE’s size makes it feel less like a bustling mega-gym and more like your local country club. And, as previously mentioned, CRCE has a water slide. You just can’t beat that.  

3. The Great Outdoors
If you’re tired of the sweaty gym atmosphere, then lace up your Nikes and go outside — no fitness equipment required. You can walk, jog, run, jump, dance…  Your options (and routes) are just about endless. Despite the cold December weather, it’s still possible to do outdoor activities. However, if you choose to head out for a run, it’s important to stay safe. Don’t go out there in a t-shirt, but don’t wear your winter coat, either. Opt for layers. If you’re completely bundled up, then you’ll get too warm within minutes. Also, make sure you have a pair of gloves and a headband, to protect your hands and ears. If the temps dip below freezing, then consider skipping the outdoor workout and heading over to ARC or CRCE. 

And there you have it: three awesome workout options. All you need to do is choose one to burn, baby, burn those calories off!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!