Health/Fitness Blog: What’s the Difference Between Organic and Non-Organic Food?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The media, dieticians, celebrities, and just about everyone is talking about organic and natural foods. But is that organic banana really better for you than the non-organic one? What’s the difference between organic, natural, and conventionally grown food?

The difference between organic and conventional food is the way it’s grown. To be able to use the term organic, farmers must meet strict guidelines set by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. These government guidelines regulate how the food is grown, handled, and processed.Conventionally grown foods use chemical fertilizers and insecticides, while organic crops use other methods such as natural fertilizers and crop rotation. Generally, organically grown foods use farming methods that are beneficial for the environment.

Photo

It’s easy to spot the difference between an organic and non-organic product.  Organic foods are only organic if they have an USDA Organic label. If it has a label, you know the product has been USDA-certified.

Photo

So where does that leave “natural” foods? The terms natural and organic don’t mean the same thing. The USDA only defines certain meats and poultry as natural when they contain no added colors or artificial ingredients. For other foods besides meat, the term natural generally means the product doesn’t contain preservatives or is less processed than other foods. Neither the USDA nor the FDA regulates the labeling of foods besides meat and poultry as natural. The use of that term is up to the manufacturer; therefore, be careful buying natural foods. A product may be falsely labeled as natural or using natural ingredients when really it isn’t any different than the conventional brand.

There hasn’t been a definitive study proving that organic and natural foods are healthier than non-organic foods, so it’s up to you if you want to spend the extra cash to eat organically. The benefits of eating organic include a lower chance of fertilizer and pesticide residue on the food. Organic farming is also generally better for the environment and organic foods typically contain fewer additives and preservatives.  Organic or not, just remember to eat you fruits and veggies! They’re an essential part of a healthy diet.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!