Health/Fitness Blog: In the sea of cardio machines, which one do I choose?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

When you walk into the ARC, what is the first thing you see? You see two long hallways of ellipticals, stationary bikes, treadmills, stairmasters and a random assortment of other machines the majority of us have no idea how to use. Everyone knows how to use many of these cardio machines, but have you ever wondered which one is best for your body and reaching your goals?

Treadmills are by far the most popular for cardio equipment. If your gym at home doesn’t have a track, or the track at ARC or CRCE seems more like an obstacle course, a treadmill is your next best option. For beginner or inexperienced runners, it helps maintain a steady pace that you are most comfortable with. When I first started running, and even now, I notice I will start sprinting half way through my workout just to reach my mileage goal (I’ve read that you should make a time goal rather than mileage goal to prevent faster pace running). I also personally love treadmills for their interval and hill programs. High intensity interval training burns the most calories in the shortest amount of time and hill training builds running strength and performance. However, the moving belt sometimes causes you a disadvantage because it aids in propelling you forward. To compensate for this, put your treadmill at a 2% incline.

ARC – Photo

Ellipticals are slowly getting more advanced, allowing you to customize your stride length and height off the ground, which makes for a perfect workout for those with injuries or sensitive joints. Most ellipticals have the option for a mini arm and back workout too, increasing your heart rate and burning more calories. The elliptical does not require a pre-set pace, unlike the treadmill, allowing you to vary your speed at your own pace. However, this isn’t always a good thing.

Because you have control of the speed, it is easy to slack off and slow down, not pushing your body as hard as you need to. Remember that you don’t have to move your legs as fast as Speedy Gonzales to get a good workout in, simply increasing resistance and varying your incline will make your feel the burn and ensure you’re not relying on momentum to keep you going. I personally prefer the treadmill to the elliptical, but it’s great for days I want a less intense workout or for a warm-up before I weight train.

I have actually never used a stairmaster before, but I constantly see both men and women using them. There are two kinds of stairmasters, the step mill which is like a revolving staircase, and the step climber, which has two foot plates in which you shift your weight back and forth in a stair climbing manner. Some people have told me the step mill is more effective for boosting weight loss — just don’t rely on the railings for help. According to livestrong.com, a 150-pound person can burn 390 calories on a step mill for 30 minutes, while a step climber will only burn 260.  As always, in order to get these results, remember to set the speed fast enough to raise your heart rate.

CRCE – Photo

And finally, there’s the battle between the bikes — the upright versus the recumbent (when your legs are in front of you).  The upright bike allows for a more intense workout than the recumbent. The recumbent bike is good for those who are looking for a low-impact cardio workout. Both bikes are easy on the joints, but only allow for a lower body workout. I personally choose the upright bikes, which mimic a real setting (you can also chase dragons if you’re feeling adventurous). It keeps me motivated; I get the feel I am actually outside because the program changes the terrain, adjusting for hills and valleys, I have control of the handlebars and having other bikers “pass” me keeps me pushing along. However, if you’re looking for a fast, calorie sizzling workout in a short amount of time, this is not the equipment choice for you.

Choosing the cardio equipment for you varies from day to day and is based on the personal needs of each individual. The best part about having so many options is that it keeps your workouts fun — you can do something different each day. I even like to do a mini triathlon for an hour and switch between machines after 15 minutes. Once you choose your machine, don’t settle for a comfortable pace, challenge yourself with resistance, inclines, intervals and pace to see the best results.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!