Health/Fitness Blog: Complete your diet with a whole grain meal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Whole grains are an essential part of a healthy diet because they are naturally low in fat and contain fiber, vitamins and minerals.. Whole grains are also more filling than refined grains, so they can help with weight loss. It’s easy to incorporated whole grains into your diet by substituting the foods you usually like with this healthier alternative.

The difference between grains is that whole grains are the entire seed or kernel of a plant. The seed contains the bran, germ and endosperm. Whengrains are refined, the bran and germ are separated from the kernel and some of the vitamins, minerals and fiber are lost as a result.

Refined grains aren’t necessarily bad for you, they just contain fewer nutrients.

“Without the bran and germ, about 25% of a grain’s protein is lost,” according to the Whole Grains Council.

Another reason whole grains are beneficial is that the fiber and protein from the bran and germ provide a constant source of energy and make you feel full longer, which can reduce overeating.

It’s easy to make the switch to eating whole grains. Whole grains include wheat, corn, brown rice, oats, barley and rye.  One easy way to eat more is to eat whole wheat bread instead of white bread. Other whole grain foods include 100% whole-grain crackers and even popcorn (just go easy on the salt and butter).

Be sure to read the list of ingredients before you buy any whole grain products. Just because a food is labeled “multi-grain” and “100% wheat,” it doesn’t mean it is. For example, molasses and caramel coloring can be added to bread to make it appear darker like it was made from whole grains. If a food is really made from whole grains then it will be the first ingredient listed.

If you’re still unsure if a food is made from whole grains, look for the Whole Grain Stamp. The Whole Grains Council created the stamp in 2005 and it appears on products that have 8 grams of whole grain per serving – these may still contain some refined grains.

There is also a stamp for products that are 100% whole grain. According to the Whole Grains Council the stamp appears on foods such as bread, cookies, soups, energy bars, flour and more.

Want to know if your favorite cereal or snack contains whole grains? Check out the Whole Grain Council’s database of whole grain foods here..

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!