HEALTH: Water, Water Everywhere! – How To Stay Hydrated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

At last, summer is here! For three months, we can leave behind academia and stress. However, no matter how eager we are to relax, the strain on our bodies is long-lasting. Then add blistering heat into this equation, and all of our plans for fun in the sun might not be possible.

Fortunately, there is one simple solution to this problem: hydration! Staying adequately hydrated is the miraculous key to ensure lifelong health. Staying hydrated gives your body enough fluid to flush out toxins, digest food and transport nutrients. Every single system in your body depends on water to function. For college women, in particular, drinking enough water keeps us at the peak of our physical condition, warding off fatigue, keeping skin clear and even combating food cravings!

Even though drinking more water can be a challenge, there are plenty of ways to ensure you get enough H2O!

1. Carry a Water Bottle – This idea is probably incredibly obvious; it’s been overlooked countless times. Having your own water supply on-hand makes drinking water a no-brainer. Regardless of what you are doing, you will be able to have fresh, clean drinking water to revitalize your body. Also, there are hundreds of cute and stylish water bottles to choose from, which can further motivate you to drink water. You can bring your water bottle with you to work, to run errands and to hit the gym. 

2. Flavored Water – Water is pretty plain and boring, but no need to fear! You can purchase flavored water, like Dasani and Vitamin Water. However, if you really want to be savvy, try making your own flavored water. I enjoy adding fresh mint leaves from my garden to an ice-cold glass of water with slices of lemon. Strawberries, blueberries, limes and cucumbers all make great additions and can even provide extra health benefits. An idea I saw on Pinterest included freezing cut up fruit pieces in an ice tray and adding the cubes to a glass of water. Having extra antioxidants in your diet without having to make serious lifetime changes? Sign this lazy collegiette up! Extra points awarded to those who bottle their water concoctions for easy access throughout the day. 

3. Wake up with Water – Make water your first priority when you wake up in the morning. Keep a bottle or a glass of water on your nightstand to remind you to drink up. Just like how breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it breaks your fast from food during the night, your first glass of water will rehydrate your vital organs and clear your body of any built up toxins from yesterday. Another great idea is to drink water as soon as your alarm sounds. Then, you’ll be forced to get out of bed to visit the bathroom!

In order to keep your body in the ideal physical condition for this summer, and hopefully throughout your lifetime, water is essential. Use H2O to detox your way to summer fun. By the time fall rolls around, you’ll have more energy, clearer skin and a fast-paced metabolism!