HC Illinois: According to the Guys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

If you’re like me and my friends, you have spent countless hours attempting to decode the enigma that is the male mind. Sometimes I think men are wired purely to confuse us.

For the benefit of collegiettes, I decided to go straight to the source and ask University of Illinois guys what they think we should know. Some of the answers were sweet and others…not so much.

I only know this much is true: Men’s minds don’t come with a disclaimer.

“I wish girls knew that we prefer the all-natural look and like it when girls wear less makeup. A little can be nice, but we know when it’s overdone. Eventually, we’re going to see you with no makeup, so no surprises please! (Note: When I say ‘all-natural’, I don’t mean don’t shave your legs and armpits.) Also, I have encountered a few girls that are upset with their breast size. Women should realize that boobs are boobs – I even know some guys that prefer a smaller set, so don’t be so self-conscious about size.”
    -Arjun Patel, senior in Sociology

“I wish girls knew that we like honesty. It’s kind of easy for a person to say that, but girls have a habit of telling their boyfriends what they think they want to hear instead of what we actually want to hear: The truth.”
    -Christopher Cremeens, sophomore in Music Education

1. Sports are our Gossip Girl/Desperate Housewives/ Sex in the City/etc.
  2. You don’t like to be interrupted when watching TV, so please don’t be upset if we politely ask to hear your not-so-urgent story after the TV show.
  3. If you are shopping with a man, ask him if he wants to leave every 10 minutes because shopping is really exhausting.
  4. Even though we are messy, we don’t like it if you tell us every two seconds. Be productive and stop complaining. Help him clean it up.
  5. We are not hornier than you. Guys are just as horny as women.”

-Neal Whittington, sophomore in Computer Science Engineering

“Some guys might like a challenge (in the relationship aspect), but it shouldn’t always be a challenge. You can only tease to a certain point. Also, usually when a guy says something, he means what he said, literally — unless it is followed by a smile or laugh of some sort. And we want respect, too. Little things do add up!”
    -Josh Smith, sophomore in Financial Planning

“I wish that women understood how important sports are to me. If my football team is playing, I want to watch it and be surrounded by people who know that. Of course, there’s no problem if my girl is watching with me: Just try and get into it like I do.”
    -Jamie Gay, senior in Architecture

“We’re so glad that women are now wearing long shirts with skin-tight leggings tucked into their leather boots…because Peter Pan is freaking hot.”
    -Christian Deme, alumnus in Law

1. We aren’t mind readers!
  2.  If you, the girl, make out with another girl we won’t consider it cheating. Actually we strongly promote this behavior.
  3. You’re probably not as funny as you think.
  4. My guy friends. Not only are they non-negotiable, they’re your best sign that I’m not a whack job.
  5. If you’re truly interested in us, don’t play hard to get.
  6. Don’t ask if we ‘think she’s hot’ if you want us to lie or don’t want to hear the truth.
        -Sean Taylor, senior in Aviation