If you’re like me and my friends, you have spent countless hours attempting to decode the enigma that is the male mind. Sometimes I think men are wired purely to confuse us.
For the benefit of collegiettes, I decided to go straight to the source and ask University of Illinois guys what they think we should know. Some of the answers were sweet and others…not so much.
I only know this much is true: Men’s minds don’t come with a disclaimer.
“I wish girls knew that we prefer the all-natural look and like it when girls wear less makeup. A little can be nice, but we know when it’s overdone. Eventually, we’re going to see you with no makeup, so no surprises please! (Note: When I say ‘all-natural’, I don’t mean don’t shave your legs and armpits.) Also, I have encountered a few girls that are upset with their breast size. Women should realize that boobs are boobs – I even know some guys that prefer a smaller set, so don’t be so self-conscious about size.”
-Arjun Patel, senior in Sociology
“I wish girls knew that we like honesty. It’s kind of easy for a person to say that, but girls have a habit of telling their boyfriends what they think they want to hear instead of what we actually want to hear: The truth.”
-Christopher Cremeens, sophomore in Music Education
- Sports are our Gossip Girl/Desperate Housewives/ Sex in the City/etc.
- You don’t like to be interrupted when watching TV, so please don’t be upset if we politely ask to hear your not-so-urgent story after the TV show.
- If you are shopping with a man, ask him if he wants to leave every 10 minutes because shopping is really exhausting.
- Even though we are messy, we don’t like it if you tell us every two seconds. Be productive and stop complaining. Help him clean it up.
- We are not hornier than you. Guys are just as horny as women.”
-Neal Whittington, sophomore in Computer Science Engineering
“Some guys might like a challenge (in the relationship aspect), but it shouldn’t always be a challenge. You can only tease to a certain point. Also, usually when a guy says something, he means what he said, literally — unless it is followed by a smile or laugh of some sort. And we want respect, too. Little things do add up!”
-Josh Smith, sophomore in Financial Planning
“I wish that women understood how important sports are to me. If my football team is playing, I want to watch it and be surrounded by people who know that. Of course, there’s no problem if my girl is watching with me: Just try and get into it like I do.”
-Jamie Gay, senior in Architecture
“We’re so glad that women are now wearing long shirts with skin-tight leggings tucked into their leather boots…because Peter Pan is freaking hot.”
-Christian Deme, alumnus in Law
- We aren’t mind readers!
- If you, the girl, make out with another girl we won’t consider it cheating. Actually we strongly promote this behavior.
- You’re probably not as funny as you think.
- My guy friends. Not only are they non-negotiable, they’re your best sign that I’m not a whack job.
- If you’re truly interested in us, don’t play hard to get.
Don’t ask if we ‘think she’s hot’ if you want us to lie or don’t want to hear the truth.
-Sean Taylor, senior in Aviation