Going the (Half) Distance: Toning Your Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Hello again, runners! I hope your training is going well – and that you’re on track and staying motivated! Besides building up endurance and speed, an important aspect of your marathon training is focusing on strength and muscle.

The importance of strength
Stronger and healthier muscles help you in the long run (literally). When you are pushing your body to run long distances at a constant speed, you are exerting a lot of pressure on your muscles, ligaments, bones and connective tissue. Think about it this way: If you have weak muscles, your body is more likely to tire out quickly. This cannot happen if you expect to run 13 miles in 8 weeks! But if you have strong muscles that can withstand this kind of pressure, then you will have the energy to run longer distances and avoid injuries.

“But I can barely lift weights”
Get that thought out of your head, because you CAN lift weights! I’m not talking about those 100+ pound weights that you see guys bench pressing at CRCE or the ARC. For you beginner ladies, I recommend starting with lighter dumbbells- 3-5 pounds. This may seem like nothing, but after a few repetitions and exercises, 5 pounds can start to feel like 20. For those who are weight-lifters already, I recommend training with 7.5-10 pound weights. Or if you’re feeling ambitious, go for the 12.5 pounders!

“I don’t want to look bulky”
Unless you are training with 50 pound weights and drinking 3 protein shakes everyday, it is very unlikely that you are going to look bulky by the time the marathon comes around. We are focusing on toning our muscles, rather than bulking them up. Toning our muscles means losing fat and gaining lean muscle. Toning is what gets rid of the jiggle in our arms and legs, and makes our bodies look hot and sexy. ;)

During this stage of my training, I have been incorporating a strength building portion into every workout. Keep in mind, I consider myself an experienced runner, so my body is used to this pressure. If you are a beginner, PLEASE DO NOT OVEREXERT YOURSELF! I do not want you going crazy with the weights and lifting 20 pounds every day after your run. If you do this, you are more likely to shock your muscles and ligaments and cause injuries. And believe me, running injuries are the worst.

A Sample Lifting Routine (with 7.5 dumbbells)

Upper body
Biceps- keep your arm straight down, and slowly bend your arm up to your chest. 15x each arm
Triceps- bend your arm behind your back, creating a 90 degree angle with the floor. Lift your arm up slowly. 15x each arm.

Chest-hold your dumbbells at your side, and slowly lift up both your arms simultaneously, as if you were measuring your wingspan. 10x.

8-Minute Abs
I learned this technique in high school- and it has stuck with me ever since! Pick 8 different ab exercises, and do each for 1 minute. I like:

• Crunches
  • Obliques- get in crunch position, bend your knees to either right or left but keep your upper body straight.
  • Bunnies- balance on your butt, and twist your upper body from side to side
  • Bicycle- get in crunch position, move your legs as if you were pedaling a bike in the air while doing crunches at the same time
  • Planks- Lie face-down on the floor, and then lift your entire body up balancing on your elbows and toes. Keep your back straight. This is one of the best ways to strengthen your core and burn fat!

Legs and Booty (dumbbells optional)
Squats- Stand with your feet shoulder and squat down. 20x

Lunges-Stand with your feet together, keeping your shoulders square and back straight. Step forward with left or right foot, and bend at your kneeds. Lower your hips until your knee is just a few inches off the floor, and then push with opposite leg, raising yourself back up. (I prefer to do these on the “walk” lane on the track)
High Knees-Bring your knees up towards your chin as high as they can go, keeping them as close as you can to your body for 30 seconds. (Stand in place or go on track)
Butt Kicks-Literally kick your butt, keeping your body and legs as straight as possible for 30 seconds. (Stand in place or go on track)

Remember, this is just a SAMPLE workout. I have come to find that a lot of people like to modify their own strength training workouts. I suggest doing a little bit of research on different exercises, and coming up with your own plan. Just remember to stay consistent for better results.

Keep up the terrific work! You have a little over a month and a half to get through- so now is the time to start pushing yourself! Next time, I’ll be talking about a proper and healthy diet, and my secrets for motivation! Until then, happy training :)

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!