This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As the temperatures drop and the leaves change, it’s finally time to get into the fall spirit. The flavors of the season can wrap you up in all the cozy feelings fall has to offer; pumpkin spice and apple cinnamon really do make everything better. Turn on an episode of Gilmore Girls, light a candle and get cooking! 

One of the most festive and traditional fall treats is a caramel apple. They’re delicious and very dorm/apartment friendly. Melt some caramel in the microwave with milk, stirring every few seconds. Then just dip your whole apple in the caramel or chop it up into slices and enjoy! These are also easily customizable; you can add nuts, chocolate, or sprinkles to make them your own! You can even make them into characters for a Halloween theme. Caramel apples are super easy and a great dessert to bring to any fall get-together.

Sweet potatoes are the perfect savory fall food option. They also have a lot of nutritional value and can be made so many different ways. Although they’re usually made in the oven, they can be done in the microwave if you don’t have access to one. All you have to do is buy a small sweet potato and pierce it with a fork before popping it in the microwave for ten minutes. Then finish with whatever you’d like! Some common toppings include different sauces/salsas, black beans and avocado. Consider adding a sweet potato to your next meal!

Granola is another great thing to have on hand this fall. You can either make it yourself or buy it in-store. There are so many flavors of granola, the opportunities are endless. Most begin with a base of oats and nuts/seeds and almost anything can be added. Pumpkin, apple chunks, chocolate chips, maple syrup, dried fruit, honey and cinnamon are some great options for fall! Granola is great on its own or as a topping, I personally love it on a yogurt bowl! Granola is a really simple and versatile fall food item to add to your lineup this year.  

What kind of article would this be if I didn’t talk about Pumpkin Spice Lattes? PSLs are a classic, and for good reason. They definitely give you all the fall feels. There are also apple crisp lattes, cinnamon coffees, brown sugar drinks and so much more. These are all great options to pick up on your way to class or even make at home (buy a syrup from Target and add a few pumps to your morning coffee)! Starbucks has some great fall drinks, but make sure to try out your local coffee shops as well! They have great fall-flavored coffees that have been some of my favorites this year.

Fall is a great time to try out some new recipes and enjoy all the flavors that come with the season. Happy cooking and happy fall!

Ava Hampe

Illinois '27

Hi! I'm Ava, a freshman at UIUC studying Communication and Psychology. I'm from Chicago and love going on walks, listening to music, grabbing coffee, and spending time with family & friends!