Freshman Blog: Start the Semester Out Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Second Semester is finally here! After a relaxing month-long break at home, it is time to head back to Chambana, and get back in the swing of classes, friends, and little bit of fun too.  Coming from a high school where I took the same classes for a full academic year, it is weird to think that this semester, I will have a new schedule, new classes, and new professors. It almost feels like I am heading to my first day of college classes again! So, since many of you probably feel the same way, here are some ideas on how to start off the spring term on the right foot!

Find Deals on Books

The price tags on some textbooks at the bookstores on campus are enough to send a shiver down your spine. Since textbooks are used usually only for one semester, it is important to spend a little as possible, so you have a little extra spending money in your bank account. Check out websites like Amazon.com and chegg.com to find used books for decent prices, or to at least compare their prices with those at the bookstores. Also, Campusbooks.com and Bigwords.com are great resources that act as search engines to find the cheapest possible books online. Just be sure that you aren’t losing money on shipping costs! Sometimes these hidden costs can actually cause you to spend more instead of save.

Make a New Calendar

If you found yourself feeling a little unorganized last semester, take some time out of Syllabus Week to make a working schedule for yourself. Invest in a whiteboard calendar at the bookstore or use Google Calendar to map out your class times, extracurricular commitments, and job schedules.  Be sure to add due dates and other important deadlines as they come up. This way you won’t forget anything, have a better idea of how much free time you have, and can manage your time more efficiently.

Meet Your Professors

With all new classes this semester, you will no doubt have new professors and TA’s. It is important to make sure your professors and TA’s know who you are, so be sure to drop by during Office Hours to introduce yourself. At a school as large as the University of Illinois, it is hard to make relationships with professors. Taking the time to introduce yourself and drop by Office Hours every once in a while not only allow the professor to get to know you, but it also shows you care about their class and the work you are putting forward. Besides that, creating and maintaining relationships with your teachers will come in handy when you need letters of recommendation later on for internships, jobs, or even graduate school.

If you start your semester out by following these few tips, you will no doubt have a stress-free beginning to spring term. Good luck, collegiettes!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!