Freshman Blog: Spring Break Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

I don’t know about you, but the cold weather and the stress of second semester already has me thinking about where I will be headed for Spring Break. For University of Illinois students, Spring Break takes place from March 17th through the 25th, and it is definitely a week that you should take advantage of. We’ve all heard numerous, crazy college Spring Break stories, and now it is finally our turn to be able to share some of our own wild experiences! Hopefully, these ideas for places to go will help you to start planning your most memorable Spring Break yet!

For the “City Girl”

If you love the concrete jungle, you should definitely head to New York City for the weeklong break. Seven days is barely enough to experience everything the Big Apple has to offer, but with so many things to do and see, you will be sure to have a fun, exciting, and extremely busy Spring Break. Be sure to check out all the shops in the Soho neighborhood, both designer and vintage, to find some unique and beautiful pieces to add to your wardrobe. Maybe even pay a visit to the Kardashians at their store, Dash! Times Square, Central Park, The Statue of Liberty, and Ground Zero are all must-see tourist attractions, and if you have some time, go see a Broadway show, pay a visit to the John Lennon memorial, or take a tour of Rockefeller Center. The possibilities are endless in this amazing city.

For the “Beach Bum”

If your idea of the perfect Spring Break involves lying on the beach for hours on end, and working on your tan, Miami, Florida is the place for you. Miami is full of beautiful beaches, and the weather is perfect, especially during the spring months. If you get bored of sitting in the sun, definitely check out Miami’s Seaquarium, an outdoor aquarium with a lot of interesting sea animals to see, the Everglades National Park, or the many designer stores in South Beach. South Beach also has a lively nightlife, and being one of the most popular destinations for college students over Spring Break, you are guaranteed to have the time of your life.

For the “Adventurous Athlete”

Breckinridge, Colorado is the perfect Spring Break vacation spot for the girl who prefers skiing and snowboarding over tanning. Breckinridge has a bunch of great slopes to hit up during the day, and a great nightlife for your evenings. Its small, indie stores, cute bars and restaurants, and renowned arts district, which offers many concerts and shows. It definitely strikes the balance between artsy and sporty, and would be an exciting place to spend Spring Break!

These are only three suggestions of the many millions of places you could go for your week off. Have fun planning, collegiettes!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!