Food Blog: Slimming Down your Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

February means Valentine’s Day, which also means lots of delicious desserts.   But for many people (including myself) the days leading up to Valentine’s Day are an easy excuse to pack on the pounds. With candy and chocolate popping up everywhere, it’s not hard to overeat. You can, however, make your Valentine’s Day treats a little healthier with these easy tips and recipes.

Tip # 1: Make the treats yourself.

Instead of going out to eat with your significant other, try cooking a light and healthy meal for just the two of you. You can save yourself hundreds of calories, and the meal will taste just as good. Plus, it’s an easy way to impress your man. If you are looking for good ideas for recipes check out Eating Well or the Food Network websites.

Tip # 2: Cut it in half.

This year, try to resist tackling a whole box of chocolates, and use portion control. If you don’t have the self-discipline to say no, buy the individually packaged chocolates – Dove and Ghirardelli  are just two of the great brands that offer invidually packed chocolates. If you are out to eat, ask for a “to go” box at the beginning of your meal. This will give you more incentive to eat only half the portion on your plate for dinner and dessert.

Tip # 3: Go dark.

Instead of indulging in milk chocolate this Valentine’s Day, try opting for dark chocolate. Dark chocolate not only has antioxidants, but it’s good for your heart health. As an added bonus, dark chocolate is lower in calories and fat than both milk and white chocolate.  

Tip # 4: Reach for the fruit.

Try fruit with chocolate as a dessert, as opposed to other sugary desserts that are bad for your health.  Chocolate dipped strawberries are a great low calorie dessert. Chocolate fondue, with fruit for dipping, is also a great dessert. You will not only feel more satisfied and eat less – the fiber from the fruit will fill you up – but you will consume less calories and fat as well.

Healthier Valentine’s Treats:  These treats are low-calorie, low-fat alternatives that will still keep you satisfied.

Easy Chocolate Bark:

Dark chocolate bark is extremely easy, and is also a great indulgence. With added nuts and dried fruit, this treat makes for a great Valentine’s Day dessert.

Ingredients:

6 ounces of dark chocolate (I like Green and Black’s Organic Chocolate)
4 ounces of semisweet chocolate
¼ cup of dried cranberries (Raisins)
½ cup of toasted almonds

Directions:

1. Combine the chocolates and melt in a microwavable bowl.
  2. Line a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
  3.  Pour the melted chocolate over the parchment paper. Use a spatula to evenly spread the chocolate.
  4. Sprinkle the cranberries and nuts over the chocolate.
  5. Put the bark in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes.
  6. Cut the bark into three-inch pieces and serve.

(Healthier) Chocolate Mousse

Chocolate mousse is one of my favorite Valentine’s Day sweets, but it is also packed with tons of sugar and is full of fat. This healthier version of chocolate mousse is lower in fat, yet still tasty.

Ingredients:

8 ounces of semisweet chocolate
2 cups skim milk
2 packages Jell-O (chocolate instant pudding – sugar free)
2 cups of fat free cool whipped topping
1/3 cup of fresh brewed coffee

Directions:

1. Melt the chocolate, 1 cup of milk, and the coffee on high in the microwave for 2 minutes.
  2.  Add the remaining milk and pudding packages to the chocolate mixture. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
  3. Take the pudding out of the refrigerator and fold in the cool whip. Top with fresh berries and serve.

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

Anything with peanut butter and chocolate is a match made in heaven. But, peanut butter is high in calories, which makes it easy to overeat. This ‘skinny’ version of a peanut butter cup is a great dessert for any special Valentine’s Day occasion.

Ingredients:

¾ cup of all natural peanut butter
3 tablespoon of confectioner’s sugar (for healthier PB cups – use 4 tablespoons of Honey)
1 teaspoon of vanilla
6 ounces of extra dark chocolate
1/3 cup of chopped pecans
¼ cup (1/2 a stick) of softened butter (for healthier versions use ½ cup of coconut oil)

Directions:

1. Combine the peanut butter, vanilla, butter, confectioner’s sugar/ honey and nuts in a large bowl.
  2. Drop teaspoons of the mixture into individual cupcake pans. Place the cupcake peanut butter mixture into the freezer for 30 minutes. 
  3. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a saucepan over low heat and mix in confectioner’s sugar.
  4. Take the peanut butter mixture out of the refrigerator and drop a teaspoon of chocolate mixture over the peanut butter cupcake molds. When finished, place the PB cups back into the freezer.
  5. After freezing serve at room temperature.

Heart-Shaped Brownies

Brownies are the perfect dessert. This heart-shaped indulgence is layered with low-fat, cream cheese frosting. Originally adapted from Martha Stewart, this brownie recipe is sure to impress.

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 ounces dark chocolate
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup of whole-wheat flour
½ cup of all white flour
‘1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3-teaspoon salt
½ cup of sugar
4 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8-inch baking pan. .  
  2. Combine the butter, chocolate and cocoa powder in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until the chocolate and butter are both melted.
  3. Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
  4. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, egg whites and vanilla. Add the chocolate mixture and beat until just combined. Finally, add the flour mixture to the to sugar mixture.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared saucepan and bake for about 35 minutes.
  6. When the brownies have cooled, spread the cream cheese frosting over them. Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the brownies.  

Low-fat cream cheese frosting:

Ingredients:

8 ounces low fat cream cheese
1 cup of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 teaspoons of red food coloring

Directions:

1. Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
  2. Spread over the cooled brownies.

*These treats and desserts will keep your sweet tooth satisfied, without going overboard. 

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!