Food Blog: Low Carb Recipes For Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

With school winding down and the temperatures going up lots of girls (and maybe guys, too) have only one thing on their mind: looking good in a swimsuit. Since cutting out carbs is such a popular way to get ready for summer, even I decided to give it a try. But going low carb can be tough without some help. What can you even eat on a low carb diet? Absolutely everything has carbs in it! Well, turns out you can actually still eat quite a bit, so here’s some recipe ideas for any low-carb ladies!

1. Broccoli and Beef Stir-fry
It doesn’t get simpler than this! Protein and vegetables are the staples of a low carb diet, and who doesn’t know how to make beef and broccoli? Simple and delicious.

2. Chicken salad
This meal is light, simple, and flavorful. You can personalize it anyway you want, but the main ingredients are chicken, lettuce, several veggies of your choice, (try celery, red pepper, onion, and apple), and a mayonnaise dressing, or whatever you prefer. Throw it all together and it’s a fast, light meal perfect for summer when it’s hot.

3. Kebabs
Kebabs are great because you can make them with any kind of meat, even fish. Just pick a protein, add some pepper and onions, and toss it on the grill. No need to feel left out at a barbeque; just make some kebabs.

4. Cobb salad
An American classic, the Cobb salad is sure to satisfy any low carb dieter. You’ll need iceberg lettuce, watercress, endives, Romaine lettuce, tomato, crisp bacon, boiled or roasted chicken breast, hard-boiled egg, avocado, chives, red-wine vinaigrette and cheese to make one but it’s worth all the ingredients. A salad that will fill you up, for sure.

5. Fruit salad
This is actually easier than the broccoli and beef! My favorite summer low carb lunch is a fruit salad. Just pick as many fruits as you want, cut them up, toss them in a bowl, and enjoy. My favorite includes strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, apples, green or red grapes, pineapple, and tangerines. Fruit has a surprising amount of calories so you can still getaway with calling this a meal. Perfect for a beach lunch!

Remember, you can totally cheat on any diet and still get results. It’s not about depriving your body of everything it wants, so go ahead and have some potatoes or pasta, or bread every now and again. Just make sure to stick to low carb the majority of the time and you’ll be fine.

For full recipes for these meals go to http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/low_carb/.