Food Blog: Healthy Vegetable Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Getting shape for spring break? Recovering from the holiday season? It’s definitely that time of year where eating healthy is key.  The problem is, not all healthyfood tastes very good, especially vegetables. Growing up, I barely knew what a vegetable was and I certainly didn’t like the taste. But, after cooking for myself and trying new recipes, I have realized that healthy foods can taste as great as they are for you. I have come up with a few healthy veggie recipes that are excellent for you and are low in carbohydrates and fat, but great for your shape. 

Vegetarian Chili:
I love chili but sometimes it’s a bit too heavy. This veggie chili is light and is full of flavor. Try it for a simple dinner meal that will easily impress!

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons of canola oil
2 cups of chopped yellow onion
1 cup of yellow bell peppers
3 garlic cloves minced
1-teaspoon oregano
1-teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon chili powder
1-teaspoon cumin
1-teaspoon salt
1-teaspoon black pepper
2 cups of corn kernels (frozen, thawed works best)
2 cans have stewed tomatoes
2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained 
1 cans of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can of white or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained

Directions:

1. Sauté the onion in the oil in a large Dutch oven pan over medium heat.
  2. Add the peppers and garlic and sauté until tender.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients and bring the chili to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes. Serve while the chili is still warm.

Spicy Baked Kale Chips:

Kale chips are a great alternative to other veggie and potato chips for a low calorie snack.  Not only do they taste wonderful, but they are also high in nutrients. You can finish a whole bunch of kale for the same amount of calories in one small bag of potato chips! Try this recipe for an easy and delicious snack.

Ingredients:

1 large bunch of kale (stems removed and leaves torn into large pieces)
3 tablespoons of olive oil
¼ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place the kale leaves on a large cookie sheet.
  2. Sprinkle the kale chips with olive oil.
  3. In a small bowl combine the chili powder, garlic salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
  4. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the kale leaves. Bake the kale chips for 15 minutes or until crisp.
  5. Wait until they cool and then serve!

Stuffed Zucchini:

This stuffed zucchini is a treat that you don’t have to feel bad about. With low fat cheese and protein as two key ingredients, this recipe will leave you feeling full and satisfied. This recipe has a variety of veggies, which allows for a flavorful dish. This zucchini recipe is great as either a main dish or side dish as well.

Ingredients:
4 medium zucchini
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 cup of chopped onion (yellow or white work)
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 cup of chopped mushrooms
1 pound of lean ground beef (or turkey)
¼ cup of chicken broth or white cooking wine
2 cups of diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons of poultry seasoning
1 cup of whole-wheat breadcrumbs
1 cup of mozzarella cheese  
½ cup of Parmesan cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
1-teaspoon salt
1-teaspoon pepper

Directions:

1. Cut the zucchini in half. Scoop out the insides and reserve half for later.
  2. Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until tender. Add the mushrooms and the zucchini insides and sauté for another five minutes.
  3. In another skill heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the turkey and sauté until cooked. Stir in the mixture from the other pan. Add the chicken broth tomatoes, poultry seasoning, and cook for another minute.
  4. Remove from heat. Add the breadcrumbs, cheeses, egg, and other seasonings. Fill the zucchini shells with the mixture.
  5. Place the zucchini halves in a baking pan and cook for 375 degrees for 40 minutes until golden brown.

Roasted Vegetable Salad:

Simple, easy, and light -you cannot go wrong with this vegetable salad! This takes your not so great tasting veggies (eggplant and squash) and turns them into a product that you will love! Don’t hold back for this treat, as it’s low in calories, but high in nutrition.

Ingredients:

1 large eggplant (peeled and diced)
2 red onions, diced
1 medium yellow squash (peeled and diced)
½ cup of olive oil
3 large potatoes (peeled and diced)
2 red bell peppers
2 zucchini, halved and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons of chopped garlic
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 tablespoon of basil
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup of olive oil
1 cup of feta cheese
½ cup of goat cheese

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Place the chopped vegetables in a large bowl. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
  3. Spread the vegetables in a large roasting pan and bake for 30-40 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven and let vegetables cool.
  5. Place the vegetables in another large bowl and sprinkle the vegetables with the herb, garlic, and olive oil. Add the cheese and toss. Serve.

Eating healthy is as easy and simple as you make it. With a few key veggie entrees, you will be feeling great in no time. 

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!