Five Lessons Of Love From The Movies You Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

On those lonely Friday nights, you might find yourself cuddled up with a pile of your all-time favorite love movies, a gallon of ice cream and a box of Kleenex; the question of where your prince charming could be lurking in the back of your mind. Well unfortunately, it isn’t as easy as the movies make it seem. You most likely wont find a guy hanging off the bars off a rollercoaster asking you on a date like Noah from the Notebook. You probably will not find the love of your life while on a plank of wood floating in the ocean, as the ship you boarded a few days ago tragically sinks. However, you can watch all these love movies and apply them to your own love life.

Lets look at some of our favorite romance movies and review some major lessons:

The Notebook:

Lesson: Never give up on the person you love. If you can’t go one day without thinking about them, don’t let them slip away.

The Notebook is one of my all-time favorite movies. In this movie, we see a crazy teenage love unfold, until Allie eventually has to relocate. Despite the years that have passed, Noah has never given up on her. Now, I’m not saying write a letter a day for an entire year, but I do believe this movie encourages couples to never give up on love, especially when it is real. Why wonder “what if” if you just made it reality. You could get your fairytale after all!

He’s Just Not That Into You:

Lesson: Don’t settle or lie to yourself

I think a common theme in this movie was desperation. Each woman was desperate for their fairytale ending that caused them to pick any guy who might have called back. Sometimes, the idea of never finding someone causes women to settle for something they know is wrong in their gut. I’m for giving a guy few chances to prove themselves, but don’t try to make a long-term relationship with someone whose more suitable for a “fling.” Scarlett Johannson’s character proves this point when she tries to sleep with Conor in the film, and later on he asks her to move in. She loves the idea but soon realizes she doesn’t want that big move to be with him.

Bridesmaids:

Lesson: Know your worth

So this movie is more of a comedy than a sappy love story, but there is a lesson to be learned from main character, Annie, as well. Annie is attached to Ted, who clearly only wants to keep the relationship physical.  To be more straightforward, he’s a jerk. Now I know we all fall for our share of bad boys, but why settle and be someone’s one nightstand? Find a guy who doesn’t kick you out his bed first thing in the morning. I promise you deserve and will find better!

The Proposal

Lesson: Love has no financial worth

This is one of my all-time favorite movies, as well. Margaret Tate, played by Sandra Bullock, is a businesswoman focused on her money and establishing her name. She is to busy to worry about love until she possibly faces the risk of being deported. She pretends to be engaged to her assistant, Andrew, who agrees to her charades. In the beginning, she looks at Andrew as nothing more than her assistant, but eventually her guard comes down and (spoiler alert) she falls in love. What I got from this movie is that status is not everything, love isn’t how big your partner’s pockets are, but it’s all about who can truly love you for who you are despite your flaws.  

Made of Honor:

Lesson: Sometimes the one were looking for is right under our nose

This movie stars the ever-so-hott, Patrick Dempsey (Mcdreamy), whose female best friend is currently about to get married. Tom is currently in the “friend-zone” but agrees to be his best friends made of honor in order to spend more time with her. Along the way, he tries to convince her that he is the one she needs to be with. All in all, the two finally end up together. This movie is a great reminder to girls to avoid automatically putting some guys in the “friend-zone” because they could complete your fairytale. Although some guys should just remain close friends, if you know your guy friend has some interest in you and it is mutual, it is better to take that chance then to continuously let a possible romance jump out the window. Trust me ladies, he knows you best. And plus, who wouldn’t want their boyfriend to be their best friend, too?

I'm Yele Ajayi and I'm a freshman at Univ. of Illinois majoring in broadcast journalism. I love writing, dancing, and singing. :D