Fashion Blog: Guide to Organzing Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

On March 20, the sun was shining and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. It just so happened to be the first official day of spring, but it felt like summer in July. At U of I, we’re known to deal with Champaign’s crazy weather–we are known to have spurts of 60-degree weather days in February and snow in April. Spring is the perfect time to do a little closet cleaning and leave room for new trends. But sometimes, it is hard to break away from that green sweater you bought three months ago and is still sitting in your closet with the price tag on. A few tips on closet cleaning and you’ll be well on your way to a new spring wardrobe.

Step 1: Assess your closet
Make three piles: One for keeping, one for tossing/giving away, and one for being on the fence. Ask yourself this: When was the last time you wore the item? If you can’t remember, toss it. If it’s too small/big, toss it. But if you think you can find an occasion where you’d wear it, put it in the “maybe” pile. If the piece is at least a few years old and is starting to wear, that’s a definite sign you need to break your relationship. Only keep the item if you honestly love it, wear it all the time, and have space to store it.

Step 2: Make new rules
Whenever I buy something new, I always take one item I already have out of my closet. Make sure that when you buy something to think about whether you really need it and where you’re going to put it. Establishing your own rules will not only keep your closet space intact, but also give you options when you’re running short on time.

Step 3: Organize
First, assemble the remaining items by color, then by item (black with black, skirts with skirts). This will allow you to put together outfits quickly, especially if you are short on time. Use wooden or padded hangers to help retain the garment’s shape and to keep it from sliding or stretching.
Basic Natural Wood Hangers, $3.99 each at containerstore.com

Step 4: Donate
Donate your clothes if the item is in good condition, but you don’t necessarily need it. Take your old clothes and either donate them to a charity clothing organization such as Goodwill, or take them to consignment stores such as Playto’s Closet, where you can turn your old clothes into cash (which you can happily spend on a new spring wardrobe!)

Step 5: Reorganize
Once you have the final cut of the items, put the clothes you wear the most often in the front of your closet where you can see them—that way, you can get dressed quickly and easily when you’re running late to class. Put your shoes in a wire shoe rack, which not only saves space in your closet, but helps your footwear breathe for easy access when you’re in a hurry.
30-Pair Shoe Rack, $39.99 at containerstore.com

Step 6: Acquire New Layering Pieces
It’s been at least 30 degrees above normal for the past two weeks, so while most of us have traded cashmere sweaters and UGG boots for cut-offs and flip flops, here are a few more pieces to help transition your look for spring.

Bright Color
H&M Blazer, $34.95 at hm.com
This bright blue is the perfect color to welcome spring, and you can’t go wrong with a classic blazer.

Neon Denim
Blank Denim “The Ankle” Skinny Jean in Turquoise, $68 at Piperlime.com
A great excuse to give your basic blues a break.

Floral Dress
Sweetheart Rose Dress, $19.80 at Forever21.com
A cute and cheerful print that will go perfect with the H&M blazer.

Nude Crossbody Bag
Leather “Plait” Crossbody Bag in Tan, $66 at Topshop.com
Update your going-out purse for spring in classic tan leather.

Printed Flats
Report “Denae” in Purple, $70 at Piperlime.com
The Missoni-like print of these cute kicks will make you excited for spring.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!