Drive Your Career Further: Lauren Berger Visits Campus to Offer Internship Advice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.
Attention aspiring Illini! Lauren Berger, The Intern Queen, is coming to U of I tomorrow, Wednesday, October 29, and you don’t want to miss it!

Lauren Berger is the Chief Executive Officer of InternQueen.com. She is also a best-selling author of two books, “All Work No Pay: Finding an Internship, Building Your Resume, Making Connections, and Gaining Job Experience” and “Welcome to the Real World.” InternQueen.com helps you find internships and apply for them; it also features a blog which provides tips involving the application process, like how to handle rejection and how to impress during an interview. Berger is regarded as one of the most highly sought-after internship and career experts today. 

What qualifies Lauren Berger as the expert of internships? During her academic career at the University of Central Florida, Berger completed a whopping number of 15 internships. Filled with the desire to help other college students with the grueling internship application process, in early 2009, under the guidance of movie producer Marshall Herskovitz, she created her brand and launched InternQueen.com. Her website offers endless advice; from e-mail etiquette to career fairs, Berger gives unique professional insight on a variety of subjects. You can also check out the internship listings which are all completely free to apply! InternQueen.com aims to provide its users with a competitive edge in the professional world. 

“The Intern Queen”, as Berger is known, travels to different campuses to share her expertise in the world of internships. On October 29, Lauren Berger will be bringing her fountain of knowledge to Illinois to promote the Ford Challenge.

The Ford Challenge is a semester-long brand ambassador challenge featuring three tasks designed to offer hands-on marketing experience to college students. After applying to the challenge, one student from nine different schools was chosen to assemble a team to help them accomplish the given tasks. The first round of the competition was a vine video contest – each team had to create an advertising campaign for Ford to feature on the app. The next round has to do with Berger’s event at U of I.

On Wednesday, Berger will talk about “Going Further” with your career path and honing in on your professional skills. A “Tweet to Win” contest will run during the event, in which students will be prompted to tweet their favorite piece of Intern Queen advice using the hashtags #FordChallenge and #Illini4Ford. Ford Executives will then determine from all of the tweets entered to receive a “power hour” advice session with the Intern Queen herself.

Everyone is encouraged to bring canned food to the event to help the Illini team win this challenge.  

The event will take place in Altgeld Hall 314 on October 29 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Free refreshments will be provided for all and the first fifty people in attendance will receive a copy of Berger’s second book available for signing after the event. Students will also have the chance to meet and network with select Ford Executives.

Support team #Illini4Ford and RSVP today at http://fordcollegechallenge.com/events/.

Photo sources:

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.