DIY Popsicles: The Perfect Guilt-Free Dessert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

In the past week, the temperature has gone from down comforter North Face floor length jackets to not needing to wear a coat to the bar. We Midwesterners start our spring much earlier than most. We don’t need flowers to be blooming or picturesque sun showers sprinkling over our campus. We just need the snow to melt of our porches and decks so our pregame square footage nearly doubles.

This is when things get tricky. More than ever, I want to indulge in an ice cream sundae but with spring break around the corner I am at a crossroads. Can I satisfy this need for desert and still rock a bikini bod in a month’s time? So as usual, I searched high and low through the grocery store, in magazines, in cookbooks and on the internet to find a guilt free desert. Anticipating (more like dreaming of) warm weather to come, I decided to tackle one of our past times that truly stands as a summer time treat – POPSICLES! I have substituted ingredients with lower calorie options, ingredients you will have handy and even created a few popsicles with added benefits… Enjoy!

The Dish: Construction

Before you start making these delicious treats, you need to gather the necessary equipment. Ideally, you would create various mixes and pour them into store bought popsicle molds. Chances are you do not have one of those handy in your campus kitchen. To make your own molds, buy miniature plastic Dixie cups and plastic silverware. Create any of the mixes below and pour them into the miniature Dixie cups. Put the popsicles in the freezer for a few hours. Once they are partially frozen, stick a plastic knife (spoon or fork) halfway into the cup and let them freeze for another hour. When you are ready to enjoy them, use scissors to cut the cups away from the Popsicle, discard the plastic and enjoy!

Yes, these are adorable homemade popsicles tucked into a flower basket. Thanks to my roommate Jamie for the great idea!

The Dish: Fruit Popsicles

Quick Fix: Blend frozen strawberries, nonfat plain yogurt, a squeeze of honey and a splash of water. Pour into cups, freeze and enjoy!

*For an even healthier treat, pump up the protein by using plain Greek yogurt. According to Yoplait.com, Greek yogurt has twice the protein of plain yogurt with zero percent fat! If you’re like me and don’t care for taste, don’t worry! The sweetness of the berries and honey offset its tang for a delicious but healthy treat!

The Dish: Tea Popsicles
Quick Fix: Blend whatever tea you have handy (Yes, crystal light packets work wonderfully) with frozen fruit and a squeeze of honey. Pour into cups, freeze and enjoy! These popsicles may take longer than the yogurt ones but be patient… they are worth the wait! My favorite combo – Crystal Light Green Tea Peach Mango with frozen raspberries.

*Not only are these tea popsicles full of flavor but you can boost up their health benefits in a variety of different ways. If you choose to use Crystal Light packets, try out teas enhanced with fiber or antioxidants!

The Dish: Chocolate Popsicles
Quick Fix: Blend a cup of nonfat plain yogurt, a ¼ cup Splenda and a ¼ cup of cocoa powder (add a dash of skim milk to get the blender moving). Pour in Dixie cups or popsicle molds for a guilt free treat that rivals Fudgesicles in taste!

When the weather starts to get warm our campus changes. Frat boys sit on their lawn, offering Keystones to cute girls walking home from Thursday’s afternoon classes. KAMS opens earlier and earlier as the weeks pass. Warm weather brings about change in many different ways but for me it always goes back to one thing… food. With the snow melting and sun shining, dessert is now on my mind – Enjoy!

Sources:
Splenda.com
Epicurious.com
Yoplait.com
CrystalLight.com
Kraftbrands.com