CU Style Blog: Winter Trends – Edgy vs. Classic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Kinsey
Trend: Bright Socks with Boots

In the dead of Winter, when the cold has got a girl down, Stylistas like Kinsey use bright socks to spice up the campus. Not only does wearing bright socks with boots dress up a grungy look, they make wearing leggings as pants work. When buying, be sure to look for thick socks with strong elastic bands that will with-stand wear and tear, and keep your toes from freezing up!

Top: NastyGal
Leggings: Bergner’s 
Socks: Circles Boutique
Boots: Dolce Vita
Purse: Marc by Marc Jacobs
Bracelet: BCBG
Watch: Fossil
Favorite Winter Accessory: Leg Warmers and thick socks
Best Color Scheme: Neutrals with Pops of Color
Fashion Regret: Freshman year Homecoming Dress
Favorite Designer: Alexander McQueen

Allison
Trend: Shorts with Tights

At the close of every summer season, the average jane piles up her stack of shorts and lets them hibernate for the winter. Smart Stylistas like Allison keep their shorts on hand, and ready to play at any moment. Don’t keep your shorts on lockdown this winter. Instead, pair them with sheer tights and compose a symphony of style that not only shows off your legs, but keeps them warm and toasty. 

Blouse: Asos
Sweater: H&M
Belt: H&M
Shorts: H&M
Shoes: Top Shop Chicago
Watch: Michael Kors
Purse: Coach
Favorite Winter Accessory: Combat Boots
Best Color Scheme: Earth Tones
Fashion Regret: Abercrombie and Hollister in Middle School
Favorite Designer: Michael Kors

Dropping temperatures are no excuse to neglect your wardrobe! Be bold, adventurous, and don’t forget to bundle up!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!