CU Style Blog: Finding That Perfect Purse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Looking for the perfect purse to grace the top of your wish list this year? Take some advice from the pros. After polling over 100 UI stylistas, I came up with the Designer bag brands that make the top of the list when it comes to Illinois fashion. Make the grade on your finals and the campus runway with these handbag tips. Which designer are you yearning for?

Longchamp
Where to find it: Nordstrom, Saks 5th Ave, Longchamp.com
Average price range: $125-$400
Many of these bags are great for carrying books to class — in style. They come in a variety of colors and styles to match any outfit, coat or mood. The durable material makes it an easy pick for busy girls that are always on the go!

Coach
Where to find it: Specialty stores (Nordstrom, Macy’s, etc.), Coach Store, Coach.com
Average price range: $100-$700
Coach’s winter line and Poppy line have produced the perfect pair to your winter wardrobe. For those who love everything flowery and fun, Coach brings a little color and brightness to a daytime or nighttime outfit. Trademark “C” stitching goes best with solid colors.

Michael Kors
Where to find it: Nordstrom, Michael Kors, michaelkors.com
Average price range: $150-$1000
The rich leathers and solid color vibe of MK have made this brand a classy force to be reckoned with. The bags harmonize flawlessly with a chunky pair of Jeffrey Campbell Litas or a smooth mid-length pea-coat. Whatever the weather, take good care of the leather — be sure to leave these bags at home on a rainy day!

Kate Spade
Where to find it: Nordstrom, Kate Spade, Katespade.com
Average price range: $90-$600
Precious patterns and bright colors are a Kate Spade trademark. Get inspired by the “perfect housewife” feel you may get from Kate Spade. Durable and spacious, these bags are the perfect travel companion. Whether it’s a cross campus hike or an across the sea Euro-trip, get there in style (and neon patent leather!)

Marc by Marc Jacobs
Where to find it: Norstrom, Saks 5th Avenue, Marcjacobs.com, Marc by Marc Jacobs
Average price range: $60-$1,500
A bit more of a splurge than the rest, Marc Jacobs’ line of handbags is well-known by the elite of college fashionistas. With a HUGE price range, pretty much any girl can own her own — you just have to know where to look! Try online sales, especially at Nordstrom.com, to get the best deals. Marc’s designs are classic yet funky with a geometric twist. You can find a handbag to match any personality, as long as you’re willing to break the bank a bit. But don’t feel discouraged — if you take good care of a Marc Jacobs bag, it’ll last you a lifetime.

Did your favorite handbag climb it’s way to the top of the list? If so, bravo! If not, don’t fret. Be a trendsetter — when every girl is dying to get their hands on the next best thing, you can say you wore it first. For those of you in need of a handbag makeover, roll with the finest and pick a winner! Remember, be bold, beautiful and badass. And splurge on a purse! (You only live once).

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!