CU Street Style Blog: Spring Fashionista Spotlight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As Spring gradually progresses into the summer months, young collegiettes are becoming more comfortable shedding layers and spending the morning classes in shorts and dresses. Each girl has her own personal transitions into spring style, be it trading pants for a freeing sundress or t-shirts for a layered look involving a bandeau top. Every look is inspiring and unique in its own way, whether a student believes it or not.

At Her Campus Illinois, taking a break from showing the readers what we the staff find to be fashionable can yield refreshing results. The readers always have something to add to our content. These two collegiettes, in particular, caught my eye and enticed me to ask what exactly inspires their style. Here I share it with our loyal fan base.

First off is the ever-peppy Maggie Ivancic:

Spotted Outside Pennsylvania Avenue Residence Hall

Bio:

Name: Margaret “Maggie” Ivancic
Hometown: Hickory Hills, Illinois
Major: Math
Year: Freshman

Style Breakdown:

Necklace: Birthday Present
Jacket: Mandee (Local Shop – Now Closed)
Dress: Forever 21
Shoes: TOMS

Hailing from the suburbs of Chicago, Maggie’s particular style showcases the softness of spring with an edgy jacket to complete the look. She always looks forward to the warmer months. While she enjoys oversized sweaters and leggings during the colder part of the year, Ivancic also loves the tights and dresses with the rapidly approaching summertime. She lends her style partially to her love of soft and bright colors, as well as to her experience as a children’s counselor over the summer.  She has a point, since kids do not like dark and sinister colors; consequently, neither does she. Her calculus-themed TOMS shoes demonstrate her love of mathematics, as well as her unpredictable personality. The freshman strives for a casual and sophisticated look without too much work. Maggie seems to have found a happy medium, as she never strays too far into either extreme. “It’s like, I put on sneakers with my dress and all of a sudden, I’m a bum,” the young collegiette added with a lighthearted laugh. It is always refreshing to see someone so comfortable with her fashion sense.

Spotted Inside the Illini Media Building

Bio:

Name: Jessica Bourque
Hometown: Chicago, Illinois
Major: News-Editorial Journalism
Year: Junior

Style Breakdown:

Purse: Thrifted
Shirt: Forever 21
Shorts: DIY Project
Shoes: Urban Outfitters

Jessica’s style caught my eye because of its easygoing and down-to-earth look. Light colors and a flowing shirt with shorts are simply perfect for Spring, especially with a small bag to match! She enjoys vintage and classic clothes, describing herself as a “thrift store fiend.”  Bourque finds that older clothes have more personality than pieces that can simply be purchased from a big name store. In this look, she utilizes a deep-scooped top that is perfect and breathable for the spring weather. She sports gladiator sandals, yet another popular trend. You can find tips related to her “do-it-yourself” shorts in her DIY column in Buzz magazine, of which she is the Arts & Entertainment editor. Clearly, this clever and well-written collegiette knows her style and shares it with others.  

Director of Social Media at Her Campus Illinois and Aspiring Theatre Critic
Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!