CU Street Style Blog: Dressing to Please Illinois’ Fickle Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Nothing is more disappointing than when the groundhog cowers away from its shadow and retreats back into its hole, dooming us to another six weeks of winter.  For residents of Illinois this year, the outcome is even worse.  These days, it is hard to tell whether you will be sweating or freezing in your winter boots.  Because of this, it becomes essential to be prepared to discard a layer or add another one to your outfit.

From hats and scarves to cardigans and plaid, there are numerous ways to dress your best while also keeping yourself cool or warm, depending on how the weather feels that day.  Like many Illinois residents know, the day can start out freezing and rapidly warm up or vice versa.  Some weeks show extreme highs and lows, making it seem like a completely different season everyday.  This makes it really important to dress appropriately to avoid the risk of health conditions such as heat flashes from overdressing in warm weather, or at the most, hypothermia from the colder weather. 

Take a look at how students around campus keep their style up-to-date with the constantly changing weather conditions:

Spotted Outside the English Building

Statistics:

Name: Kaitlin Penn
Hometown: Madison, WI
Major: English
Year: Freshman

Clothing Breakdown:

Hat: Urban Outfitters
Scarf: Thrifted
Coat: Target
Hoodie: Threadless
Jeans: Kohls
Shoes: eBay
Messenger Bag: Urban Outfitters

Kaitlin, as a veteran to the cold and fickle weather of Wisconsin, is used to tossing on a few layers when heading off to classes.  She strives for a vintage and laidback look most days.  In fact, she enjoys a good thrifting trip every now and again.  Flannel and especially hooded sweatshirts, like Kaitlin’s, are particularly must-haves since they can be stripped off so easily.  The young English major likes all seasons since her style can cater to any of them.  When I asked her what inspired her layers, she replied, “I think of a bear and if it could take off its skin… except bears don’t wear scarves.” 

Statistics:

Name: Lauren Cox
Hometown: Mattoon, IL
Major: News-Editorial Journalism
Year: Freshman

Clothing Breakdown:

Scarf: Christmas Present
Purse: Forever 21
Dress: H&M
Ring: Family Heirloom from Grandfather, Namesake
Tights: Outer Layer – Forever 21, Inner Layer – Wal-Mart
Shoes: Wal-Mart

This particular student’s wardrobe caught my eye because she was actually maneuvering campus with no coat and in tights, no less! When asked her secrets of the trade, Lauren stated that she utilizes the layer system as she often wears two to three pairs of tights depending on how the weather is that day.  She manages a very sophisticated look while spending a minimal amount of money.  The Allen Hall resident also likes to make her own clothes.  It just goes to show that cheaper clothes still have that fashionable look!  For the most part, she enjoys neutral colors, along with yellows and blues.  When I inquired where she got the idea for her style, Lauren explained, “I like wearing dresses, and I like feeling feminine, but I also like feeling warm and comfortable.”  Many girls strive for this happy medium, and Lauren achieves it!

Ladies, abandon your belief in the myth that it is impossible to be stylish, yet warm, or comfortable at the same time.  Thoughts such as these are a thing of the past!  Whether the weather is friendly or rigid that day, remember that there is nothing wrong with a few layers.  After all, if you change your mind, you can simply add or subtract one to create a new outfit!

Director of Social Media at Her Campus Illinois and Aspiring Theatre Critic
Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!