Confessions of a Magazine Intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

This summer I had the opportunity to spend nine weeks in Washington, D.C. interning as an Assistant Digital Producer for Washington Life Magazine. From organizing a photo shoot to meeting the NBC Washington Deputy Bureau Chief, my experience in the District was both nothing and everything I expected it to be. While there were no dry cleaning runs for my boss, there were a couple of encounters with subway creepers. The various lessons I learned while living and working in a big city this summer can be useful to any Collegiette taking on a new job, or a new town in the future.

The Internship

The Summer 2011 Issue of Washington Life Magazine.

Ask for tangible assignments: Most interns seek to learn about their field of interest, gain experience in that field and to produce at least one tangible piece of work that relates to that industry. There are times, however, when internship supervisors may turn the concept “intern” to an “errand girl” position. While menial office tasks and errands are undoubtedly a part of the job from time to time, you want to make sure that at the end of your experience you have worked on a project, or written something that relates to what your internship organization does. Start by asking to work on something small. After you kick butt on several small assignment then ask to take on something larger. 

Don’t be afraid to take control: Many interns are terrified when they first begin working for an unfamiliar company. While you may be tempted to ask your boss every detail of how he or she would like a project completed, an internship is still a job so “hand-holding” will not always be there. Taking control of your work will demonstrate that you can take initiative and can handle the work environment. Michael M. Clements, the executive editor of WL and my boss, believes in throwing interns “out there” and seeing what they can come up with.

“It may be scary,” Clements said. “But I think it’s the best way [for interns] to learn. It’s important to let them handle work themselves with their own personal touch.”

The City

Explore the area: Staying in a new town or city for an extended period of time is overwhelming for a number of reasons. Through the weeks I’ve learned that the key to learning the ins and outs of a large city is to actually go out. I recommend packing a city guide and public transportation map in your purse and going to a new place. You will be surprised at how doing this just a few times will help you learn how a particular city comes together. It may help to do a little research on an area before you go there, but once you get out and about, you will love what the city has to offer.

Take charge of your expenses: Between spending subway fare and bar covers, summer expenses can get rough. I’ve found a few small budgeting rules to live by.

1) Make your lunch: The average meal at the eateries near my internship cost about $10. By making my lunch from items at the local grocery, I was able to save around $350!

2) Eating out? Skip the drink: During your internship, it’s important to get out and try new, amazing food. Opting for water instead of a 3 to 6 dollar drink can save you serious cash while eating out.

3) Take advantage of free things: Museums, outdoor movies, festivals and concerts; the list of free activities in DC could just go on. Scour all over to find amazing deals and free events in the city.

The Social Scene

My summer roommates (left) and I dressed for a night out.

Use the Internet: The Internet has a wealth of information about different events and ways to meet people in your area. One website in particular is Meetup.com which posts events and meetings about anything you could possibly be interested in. If you’re a fashionista in D.C. on a budget, then there are clothing swap groups. If you enjoy biking, there are different groups that meet up just to bike trails.

“When I started training for a triathlon, I really wanted get some support in the process,” said Rae Fischer, a resident of Alexandria, Va. “I found a group on Meetup for others who were training. I was able to get advice, encouragement and get to know people with similar interests.”

Talk to strangers: In our society we pretty much like to keep to our personal space. We sit one chair away from the person next to us and we play our iPods loud whenever we do anything by ourselves. Unless you’re moving to a town where you have close extended family or into an apartment with your best friend, then you will undoubtedly have to talk to people you don’t know. This summer I realized that the people we encounter are much more willing to talk and form relationships than many seem to think. If there is an interesting-looking person in your building, go up and just talk to them. You never know what a simple conversation can lead to.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!