Community Blog: Race & Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As I adjusted my pink wig and looked at my Nicki Minaj-self in the mirror (all pink, kind of scandalous, very ridiculous), I came to a revolution: this was my first time dressing up as a someone who’s the same race as me.

Photo

In the past, I’ve gone for the non-specific racial characters. I’ve been a 70s girl, a flapper and a sexy zombie – Allen Zombie Mob 2010, represent! But I’ve never gone out of my way to be Beyonce, never thought to be a Dreamgirl and I certainly didn’t think I was going to be Nicki until a month ago.

It felt weird. But weird good. It was like the power of Nicki was flowing through my veins – though that could have been the pain from the pink heels.           

I don’t know why I’ve never dressed as an African-American before this year, since I’ve only celebrated Halloween for two years now (strict parents, crazy rules, blah blah), So to gain some professional light on the matter, I decided to poll other women of different ethnic backgrounds who are veterans of the holiday.

“I’ve never dressed as anyone of my ethnic background. I’m usually something race-neutral, like a lifeguard or a witch or a cat. The only person I ever portrayed for Halloween was Snooki from Jersey Shore because she’s recognizable, and the costume was fun to get together.  I’m not opposed to dressing as someone of my race, I just have never really thought of Halloween in a racial context.  I try to think of what would be funny or a good costume and go from there.  However, if they made pregnant Beyonce costumes this year I may have to go for it.” – Melanie Matlock, junior, advertising

Photo

“It’s definitely easier to find a costume that looks like you. Then you don’t have to make up your hair or anything. It would be harder for me to do, like Nicki Minaj. This year, I want to be a street fighter girl, [played by Kristin Kreuk.] It’ll be easier for people to get, and people won’t ask me “who are you?” That’s always embarrassing. Also, I really like Kristin Kreuk, and she’s a Chinese-German actress, and was someone I looked up to when I was younger. And I look Chinese—though I’m Pilipino—so it would be easy to do. Plus, my character kicks butt.” – Rose-Ann Aragon, junior, broadcast journalism.

“I’m Indian, and have never dressed up for Halloween as someone who is Indian.  I don’t think this has anything to do with any insecurities I have towards my ethnic background; instead, I don’t believe that there are many Indian icons that are well known. This year, I plan to be Pebbles from The Flintstones; in the past I have dressed up as Cleopatra, Arthur, Charlie Chaplin and a tooth fairy.  I think what matters most when dressing up for Halloween is dressing up as someone you admire or identify with – not their ethnic background.” – Tess Mody, junior, communications.

Photo

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!