Community Blog: CU Date Guide – Fun Nights on the Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

With so many of us being from Chicago, Champaign may sometimes feel like a small town. But this doesn’t mean that there aren’t a ton of places to go and things to do. Champaign has a charm that many college towns lack. Especially for any couples out there looking for a fun and romantic night out, Champaign offers all you could look for in a tasteful date night, or even a night out with friends.

Photo

The best dates are the ones where you try a new restaurant; I love Kofusion as much as the next person, but trying out a new place always spices things up. You don’t have to look much further than downtown Champaign. Escobar, for example, is a hidden gem on Columbia Avenue that offers an amazing Latin dining experience, and the food and service is great. If you’re looking for upscale dining, Champaign has many other places to offer, including Luna Cafe, Radio Maria, or Bacaro, especially for the wine-lovers like myself. There is nothing like dinner and a movie to make a nice, relaxing night with your significant other. And if you are somewhat new to campus, Savoy theatre is the theatre to choose!

Although many of us consider a night out with the friends to be one at on on-campus bar, there are so many great bars in downtown Champaign that make for a great change of scenery! If you’re looking to get a cocktail with some girlfriends, Boltini is a great place to start (though pretty upscale). If you are looking for a more laid-back night on the town, be sure to try Cowboy Monkey or the Blind Pig! They both have extensive drink menus that offer everything you could possibly be looking for! Don’t underestimate the fun in dressing up and going out for a drink or two, it’s a great way to catch up with friends, away from the sometimes over-the-top party scene on campus.

Photo – The Blind Pig

The University itself also offers many community events that make for a fun night  out. With basketball season starting up, its always great to consider getting a group of friends together or just going with a boyfriend or girlfriend to see a game. If you’ve never been, the atmosphere is fun and energetic, and I have never seen so much school spirit in one arena. Go have a drink at Firehaus or Kams, and then head over to see a game!

Going to the same bars and restaurants on campus can get old, especially by the time you are a senior. If you don’t have the energy for a wild night out, these are all great ways to get out and spend quality time with your friends or significant other!  Go out and explore the charming and fun atmosphere that Champaign has to offer.

Photo

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!