A Collegiette’s Guide to Dressing in Business Casual

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Career fairs, interviews, networking events and job shadows seem to all be taking place during this time of year! With that being said, all collegiettes should have a business casual outfit ready at a moment’s notice to attend these many career events. Whether you’re not sure what is considered business casual, or you just can’t decide what to wear to make a perfect outfit, take inspiration from these key pieces!

Comfortable Flats

Regardless of which type of event you’re attending, I highly recommend NOT wearing high heels. Heels can kill your feet, making it much more difficult to keep your eye on the prize: a job or internship! Instead, find a pair of comfortable flats in a neutral color that can be paired with a wide variety of outfits.

Blazer or Cardigan

If you think the event you’re attending is leaning a little more towards business professional, a blazer is a great way to dress up your outfit a little more. Another option to add a little extra flare to any outfit is a cardigan sweater to complement the colors of your blouse or shoes.

Fitted Dress Pants

A good pair of dress pants can go a long way, especially a fit that flatters your body type! While slacks can be very expensive, a good option for collegiettes on a budget is Maurices, especially with their many BOGO sales.

Blouse or Button-Up

If you choose to wear a blazer or cardigan, a sleeveless dressy blouse in a simple pattern with a couple of different colors is the way to go. Choose a top that has one of the same colors as your blazer or cardigan to look extra polished. If you choose not to wear a blazer or cardigan, go for a button-up or a long- or short-sleeve blouse in a solid color.

Simple Jewelry

When it comes to jewelry, don’t wear anything too bulky or eye-catching for business casual attire. Avoid long, dangly necklaces, jingly bracelets, large earrings and too many rings on your fingers. Keep your jewelry to a minimum with stud earrings, a small necklace, a sophisticated watch and only one or two rings.

NO Brand Names!

Her Campus Illinois recently hosted an event with Lindsay Abeles McFarlane, founder of Working Girl, Inc. One of Lindsay’s top tips was to avoid accessorizing with any brand name items. As hard as it may be to leave that cute Tory Burch tote at home, it’s for the best! While it may not seem like a big deal to you, employers might perceive this as an excuse to skimp on your salary since you can already afford expensive things.

Be Modest

Remember not to show too much skin, especially upper thighs and cleavage. You want employers to be focused only on your interviewing abilities and your resume!

Thumbnail Image   

All other images are original, made using Polyvore 

Madeline Sievers is an Advertising student in the College of Media at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In her spare time, she loves cooking and baking, binge watching, and being with her friends, family, and adorable kitty. Follow her: @merelymadeline
Samantha Merkin

Illinois '18

.