Is Chivalry Dead?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

To be chivalrous is to be valiant, generous and courteous.  Chivalrous menare marked by honor and are courteous, especially towards women.  In the times of knights and princesses to be chivalrous was a valued trait present in society.  Today’s society no longer concentrates on men saving the ‘damsel in distress’ or protecting the weak, but does this mean the concept of chivalry has disappear completely? Or can it be revised to a modern day version?

Many women today complain about being mistreated, disrespected, and offended by the actions of men in society.  Times have changed, but that does not mean that the concept of being a gentleman should.  At the same time are women expecting too much from men? After all, they are only human, and on a college campus they are still maturing.

Simple actions like pulling out a chair, giving up their own seat so a woman can sit down, or opening the car door are rarely practiced by younger men in society anymore.  Erin Lindbloom stated, “half the guys on campus basically slam doors in your face when entering a building.”  According to LaShaun Williams’ article “9 Reasons Why You Think Chivalry Is Dead When It Isn’t” men are trying to show more independence by not giving into what women necessarily expect from them.  Justin Wilcox stated, “Well I definitely still hold doors open for women, but I think it is just because guys are more self-centered these days.”

Women have made strides in becoming independent in society.  Back when chivalry was a common trait in men or even in the 1950’s when it was much more common to see a man open a door for a woman, women did not have a large role in society.  Women were expected to be homemakers, not go to school, and take care of their husbands when they got home from work.  Today Women go to school, have careers and many women have made a huge impact on society.   This new found sense of independence that many women have may cause many men to see women as almost their equals; meaning men may not think twice about working side by side with a woman, but even as equals, men shouldn’t have to think twice about going out of their way to be courteous.  Danny Walsh stated that he still likes to treat women with respect but a lot of men do not because “the world is becoming womanized and feminine, the way many men try to fix that is by being jerks.”

Men might not as chivalrous as they did in the past, but women have switched up their act too.  At the bars you see women in tight short skirts, low cut shirts or tight dresses that leave very little to the imagination.  You see women falling all over themselves drunk, compromising their morals to get attention and let’s not get started on the dancing.  When women show themselves in such a light how could anyone possibly have an ounce of respect for them?  It goes with the old saying ‘if you want respect you have to earn it.’ So basically ladies, if you want a man to treat you right and respect you, respect yourself and keep you dignity!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!