Chicago Offers Free Wi-Fi In All Public Areas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel introduced The Chicago Broadband Challenge this past September. This program will strive to bring free wireless Internet to public parks and disadvantaged neighborhoods around the city.

The program began a few weeks ago with the announcement of free Internet at downtown Chicago’s Millennium Park. However, Mayor Emanuel is hoping that this initiative will bring the entire city together.

“Chicago will be one of the most connected cities in the world,” said Mayor Emanuel.

In fact, Chicago is one of the first cities in the world to attempt something like this. New York City attempted to turn all payphones into free Wi-Fi this summer. However, this is still a far cry from providing an entire city with Internet access at all times.

This effort is, in part, a strategy to bring more jobs to Chicagoans. The public will now be able to access the internet at any time, and underserved citizens will never go without. Students who need the Internet for homework assignments or studying will now be able to complete their schoolwork at home.

The underserved of Chicago make up a large part of the City’s population and should not be overlooked in manners such as these. Mayor Emanuel is attempting to level the playing field for all citizens with this new initiative.

“The establishment of a world-class broadband network in Chicago will create thousands of jobs and dramatically improve educational opportunities, economic development, health care services, and general quality of life throughout the city,” said Emanuel.

In order to accomplish this feat, new broadband structures will need to be created in order to avoid too many networks getting bogged down by thousands of users.

“It is essential that we build a broadband infrastructure network that suits the needs and desires of Chicagoans,” said John Tolva, chief technology officer for the City of Chicago.

To determine where these structures should be located, the City first located high-traffic areas. In total, 15 zones have been identified in highly commercial and populated areas where Internet seems to be essential.

Another focus is in the neighborhoods of underserved and disadvantaged citizens. The City is still working on plans discussing how to best reach all of these areas. Additionally, Chicago is teaming up with Smart Chicago Collaborative to provide education on technology digital skills training so all Chicagoans are able to take advantage of the wide spread broadband.

The city is inviting the public to participate in this challenge by offering advice on how to make the best use of existing Internet access and of the possible impacts that expanding this technology will have in the future.

“By asking for public input and using it to design the best possible system, we’ll ensure that Chicago’s broadband infrastructure is not only the fastest in the country, but the best suited to create jobs and drive our economy forward in the 21st century,” said Tolva.

If you would like to participate in this discussion, go to http://digital.cityofchicago.org/index.php/the-broadband-challenge/ to share your ideas with the City.

Mary Alex is a senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She is studying communication, public relations and theatre. When not writing for Her Campus, Mary Alex loves to run, read and see plays. She also has a weakness for peanut butter, is a huge Cubs fan, and has seen every episode of Gilmore Girls multiple times.