Celebrate Chocolate Lover’s Month: From Martinis to Homemade Fudge!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Whether you hate it or love it, everyone knows February is the month of Valentine’s Day.  What many may not know is that February is also deemed National Chocolate Lovers Month, a 28-day long celebration of chocolate open to all relationship statuses.

You may be thinking that this is simply an obvious correlation to the heart-shaped boxes of chocolate surrounding you in every store right now, and this may be true, but I’d like to think there are other ways to incorporate chocolate into this month — with or without Cupid along for the ride.
Here are my suggestions for ways to celebrate chocolate this month:

1. Fondue with Friends
Spend the next dinner with the girls at The Bread Company, located on Goodwin Avenue.  There are plenty of delicious entrée options for each of you, but make sure to share when it comes to the chocolate fondue served with fresh fruit.

If you’d rather stay home, buy your own fondue fountain.  The Nostalgia Electrics 2-Tier Chocolate Fondue Fountain is $29.00 at walmart.com.  An even less expensive option is Target’s Okra by Mastrad Fondue Set for only $14.99, available at target.com.

2. Chocolate Martinis
Make a change from the typical cocktail and indulge in a chocolate martini, the ultimate drink for chocoholics.  Create your own at home with a mix, or spend the night out.  Boltini Lounge, located in downtown Champaign, offers three chocolate martini choices—Double Chocolate, Sammy Davis Jr. Mint and Coconut Joy Gazzm.

3. A Trip to the Chocolate Shop

Take the time to buy chocolate from somewhere other than a drug store’s candy aisle.  Discover Rubens Chocolate, which can be purchased in ArtMart, located in Urbana’s Lincoln Square shopping center.  According to www.rubenschocolate.com, “Each piece of Rubens Chocolate has a distinctive flavor because they are created with recipes carefully developed by Master Chocolatier Chris Nuyts. She performs a unique blending of the finest Belgian chocolate, along with other selective ingredients. The fillings are made with the freshest creams, butters, fruits and nuts available. Preservatives, artificial flavors, and colors are never added. You will definitely taste the difference.” 

If you need a closer view before making the trip to Urbana, their website gives descriptions and pictures of each decadent truffle.

4. Stay in and Bake with your Roommates
Lazy days can turn into delicious nights when you decide not to brisk the frigid weather and stay in and bake with your friends instead.  Here are two easy recipes for chocolate indulgence on a Saturday night.

Foolproof Dark Chocolate Fudge
·       3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
·       1 can sweetened condensed milk (e.g. Eagle Brand)
·       Dash Salt
·       ½ to 1 cup chopped nuts
·       1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract

In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chips with sweetened condensed milk and salt.  Remove from heat; stir in nuts and vanilla.  Spread evenly into wax paper-lined 8-or-9-inch square pan.  Chill 2 hours or until firm.  Turn fudge onto cutting board; peel off paper and cut into squares.  Store loosely covered at room temperature.

Mocha Fudge Brownies(foodnetwork.com)
·       1 stick unsalted butter, softened
·       1/4 teaspoon baking powder
·       1 cup sugar
·       2 squares unsweetened chocolate
·       2 eggs
·       1 cup flour
·       1/2 cup milk
·       2 tablespoons coffee

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl cream together butter, sugar and eggs. In another bowl combine flour and baking powder. Melt chocolate in microwave. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir to combine. Add chocolate, milk and coffee. Mix well. Pour into a buttered 8” square baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cool before serving.

I hope these ideas will help you enjoy the rest of February.  Happy Chocolate Lovers Month!