Campus Celebrity: Stephanie Pisano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Avery, Karmin, Christina Grimmie, Boyce Avenue and even Justin Bieber—they are all once aspiring singers who used YouTube to share their amazing gifts with the world. Most of us just know what we see on screen, so what are they like when their web cams are off?

This week’s campus celebrity is not only recognized for her musical talent, but also for her character and personality. When Stephanie Pisano, a junior in Communications with a minor in Media and Cinema Studies, isn’t studying, working as a desk clerk, helping students with disabilities, or working out at the ARC, she’s probably listening to music, thinking about music, or singing.

HC: When did you first start singing?
I have always loved to sing and act goofy since I was a little kid. I was in choir when I was in middle school and was involved with theater for three years in high school. I was involved in a number of plays and musicals, in which I typically landed the role of a dancer/singer. I guess you could say that I just always had a love for the arts ever since I was a baby.

HC: What do you love about singing?
I love to sing because I love music. Music is my life and singing is an outlet for me. When I sing, I just get into my own world and would not rather do anything else. Even thinking about singing right now is making me want to sing!

HC: Why did you first start making YouTube videos?
It started with me recording videos of myself on my computer and playing them back after I was done to listen to how I sounded. I took this as a way to evaluate the way I sounded and to make sure I could fix anything that didn’t sound good to me. I wanted to make a YouTube account for fun and to see what people I didn’t know would think.  

HC: Do you ever have any insecurity about singing? How do you overcome it?
The main insecurity I struggle with is the classic “I’m not good enough.” I have learned to realize that we are each designed with our own talents and no matter what. I will never sound exactly like someone else because the way I was designed is unique. I love singing and won’t ever let anyone tell me I can’t do what I love.

HC: How does singing help advance your goals in life?
Music gives me motivation, especially if the message in the song is powerful. Demi Lovato has a lot of inspirational music written about many different events that have happened in her life. Her work has definitely encouraged and therefore inspired me to express myself through song. Getting comments and messages from people on YouTube that I don’t even know is also really touching. This has motivated me to sing and also in life in general.

Stephanie makes a positive impact on campus because, although she is a busy college student with two jobs, she wakes up each day striving to be a better person.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!